addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The DC/NoVa Gamer's Guild Message Board › Introductions

Introductions

A former member
Post #: 330
Hello everyone,

Please use this thread to introduce yourself. How long have you been gaming? What games do you like to play? What do you hope to find in this Meetup group? Have a good gaming story - share it with us!

I have been gaming for nearly 20 years. My wife and I are recent transplants to the area, and I got involved with Meetup to meet other gamers in the area. I joined the NoVA D&D Group in February. Since then I've participated in a bunch of meetups, and organized quite a few as well. I've met some great gamers and made some great friends.

Currently, I'm working with Shades on developing a miniatures campaign game using the Savage Worlds Showdown rules. I'm not engaged in any RPG campaigns at the moment, but I'm hoping to run some upcoming games of Weapons of the Gods, Hackmaster, Call of Cthulhu, and Aces & Eights. I also enjoy D&D and d20 games, Exalted, Adventure!, Confrontation, Warhammer 40k (I'm still a newb), and just about any other game that involves rolling dice. I've also got my wife playing board games with me!

I'm always looking forward to meeting new gamers and playing in great games!
A former member
Post #: 157
well ive been gaming for 20 odd years as well. ive played lots of different games and would love to play some more. currently in a group along with my gf which is fun (i got her hooked). anything else just ask.
A former member
Post #: 189
I've been playing strategy games since grade school (War at Sea by Avalon Hill), and I cut my RPG teeth on the D&D blue-book edition around 1978. During the games rush in the early 80's, I dabbled in other RPGs like Traveller, GURPS, Gamma World, Space Opera, Stormbringer, and Call of Cthulu, and I ventured into more wargames as well: Titan, Divine Right, Illuminati, Star Viking, and others. At the same time, I dived headlong into painting miniatures.

In 1992, I developed a homegrown RPG, called MeRGe. Unfortunately, Real Life interfered during the 90's, and I left the hobby for 15 years (other than playing Magic: The Gathering, which I started playing when it came out in 1993).

In May 2006, I decided it was time to make gaming, painting miniatures, and finishing MeRGe, a priority again. I added d20/D&D3.5, Alternity, Warhammer Roleplaying, and some other games to my list of influences. I'm very close to test-playing a one-off adventure called Mystery at the Old Outpost. MeRGe mechanics are intended to be quick and flexible, so that players can focus on action, plot, and role-playing. This particular adventure is agenda-based, so players will actually "rank" at the end of the game, depending on how many Adventure Points they earn.

I also rekindled my interest in painting miniatures, and that has led to learning minis games, namely Warhammer and Confrontation. Shannon returned from Origins with a fire in his belly for the Savage Worlds miniatures rule-system, called Showdown! We test-played it with Yi-Hsaio and Thai, and we're very excited with its possibilities, including the option to play with any miniature from any manufacturer. Shannon and I are expanding on Showdown! with some house rules, and we're developing a campaign which we hope many folks will want to join.

Right now, I'm moving to new digs across town, so it may be a month or two before I schedule games. In the meantime, feel free to contribute to the discussion threads that Shannon and I are leading regarding game-design for the minis rules and campaign.
A former member
Post #: 122
I won't bore anyone with the details:

I've been gaming since 1987 (which would have been the sixth grade for me), and while D&D was my first actual game, I generally consider Talislanta to be my "spiritual first," as I think it really turned me on to the idea that a good RPG scenario could be more than just a series of perfectly rectangular rooms joined by corridors that always bend at 90 degrees.

Nowadays, I'll try just about any game at least once, though I do have favorites (Talislanta still being among them). I find that I'm spending more time with generic systems recently; I also write genre fiction as a hobby, and I like the idea that I can explore a creation in game form as well as through standard prose.
Rachel
aerochocolate
Newburg, MD
Post #: 3
As many of you learned last night, I'm kind of new to gaming. I was in my high school's fledgling RPG club my senior year and became exposed to D&D and Vampire: the Masquerade through that, but once I graduated that was it for me. Despite UMBC's campus being full of nerds, there wasn't much interest in gaming there.

Last year I joined a church in Camp Springs and lo and behold, the young adult group's adviser had been playing D&D since the seventies. We've gamed a little here and there, but I think our first actual game will be Changeling: the Lost. (I'm doing character creation with the group tomorrow - wish us luck! :)

Although I haven't had much experience with RPGs, I do like video games (even though I'm lousy at them) and I love buying rulebooks. (Despite never having run a D&D game, I own one of the old monster manuals I bought in middle school, and it is well-loved and dog-eared.)
A former member
Post #: 130
Although I haven't had much experience with RPGs, I do like video games (even though I'm lousy at them) and I love buying rulebooks.

Ah, a woman after my own heart. wink I think that, at one point, I sat down and calculated that if I wrote scenarios and ran games, one every other week, for all the games that I own but have never played, I could run a different game in every spot from now until October '08. And, of course, taking into consideration my recent GenCon binge, that could probably go to around New Year's of '09.

Someone help me play these games! biggrin
A former member
Post #: 163
i dont know about playing jim but the first step is acceptance please say it with me "hi my name is Jim and I'm a gamaholic"
A former member
Post #: 132
i dont know about playing jim but the first step is acceptance please say it with me "hi my name is Jim and I'm a gamaholic"

Dude, if this is wrong, I don't want to be right! biggrin
nightcrawler
user 4890948
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Born on HeroQuest, bred on AD&D 2nd edition (of course with Players Options rules, god those customization rules were gorgeous). I live now from day to day only by feasting on the minds of unsuspecting players and DMs/GMs/STs via Hunter, AD&D, Changeling and Silver Age Sentinels mostly (but occasionally other systems). I've got a forum game or two, but remote consumption is not the same. I'm in the DC area, near Georgetown.

Feed me.
A former member
Post #: 6
I am said girlfriend that Rolin spoke about above. Just so you know Jim I make Rolin say hi I am Rolin and I am a gameaholic every night when I get home from work...... Especially now that we have the Wii....