DC Objectivist Salon (DCOS) Pages
- The DCOS is a proud supporter of (although neither sanctioned nor supported by) the Ayn Rand Institute (ARI) under the direction of Dr. Yaron Brook. We welcome those who have not yet determined or otherwise reconsidering their position on this institution, but we will not tolerate ad hominem attacks on Ayn Rand, ARI, or ARI-affiliated intellectuals. (For reference, see the latest of Rand's own journal entries published in The Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics.)
- The DCOS agrees with the position held by Rand and thus by ARI regarding libertarianism, rejecting it on philosophical grounds as incompatible with Objectivism as well as utterly ineffectual (if not destructive) to the cause of liberty. (For an excellent brief introduction to this position, see the online essay "The Fable of the Cardiac Surgeon...", or for a fuller explanation, the essay "Libertarianism: The Perversion of Liberty" published in The Voice of Reason: Essays in Objectivist Thought.) We will permit libertarians seriously interested in Objectivism to participate in the DCOS if they agree not to promote or debate regarding libertarianism at DCOS events and refrain from listing it in their DCOS group profile. (Since you have separate profiles for each Meetup group, this does not affect your ability to put whatever you want in your profiles for other groups.)
- Fees: There is a yearly suggested donation of $10 per person strictly to cover expenses. (Costs associated with our web presence are a couple hundred dollars per year.) New members are welcome to attend several meetings before considering whether to donate.
- RSVP: Even negative RSVPs are appreciated; including a brief sentence explaining why really helps us determine whether it is merely because of scheduling conflicts or if people aren't interested in particular topics or speakers.
- DCOS: Events held by the DC Objectivist Salon itself in a range of places from members' homes to public places such as restaurants and movie theaters.
- College acronyms (e.g. UMD, AU, GMU, etc): Campus-club events usually hosted in cooperation with ARI/ARC. (These used to be labeled as "ARI:" but have been changed to be more descriptive as well as better reflecting that ARI does not actually run or control these events.)
- CCOS: Events held by the Charm City Objectivist Society in Baltimore, MD.