addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

DC Theology Pub Message Board › Final logistics tonight's Diana Butler Bass book talk

Final logistics tonight's Diana Butler Bass book talk

Glenn Z.
user 11569512
Washington, DC
Hi all, Here are some final logistical details for tonight’s book signing with Diana Butler Bass:
1. Start: Please arrive early so we can get started at 7PM. The earlier the better. If tables are packed try and sit either along the back wall or on stage. I’ve asked for extra chairs to be set up. The Langston Room is in the back of Busboys.

2. Books: As you enter the establishment, you will notice the counter of the bookstore where you will see Diana Butler Bass’ book displayed. I think the book is $25. Consider supporting Diana’s writing by buying a book (even for a gift!). Also, if want to get a book to get signed after the event, this is where you pick them up.

3. Food: Please order food and drink in the Langston room if you were planning on having dinner out anyway. It helps support Busboys as they offer inexpensive space for events such as ours.

4. Discussions around tables and Q & A: I’m borrowing the format that Busboys & Poets follows during their book signing events where people are encouraged to discuss a question before and after the speakers’ book talk. If you don’t want to talk with people tonight, that would be a good time to go to the bar and get a drink! Ha ha ha… But seriously, one of the points of events like this is to meet others with similar interests.

5. Quickly driving down south into DC: My recommendation for driving into DC to the event is to go down 16th street (not Georgia Ave!) from Silver Spring, MD. As you get to the end of the Meridian Hill Park, you'll get into the left hand turn lane to turn left onto Florida Ave. After a block on Florida, the road forks into Florida and W St. Go straight (don't go on the Florida branch) and you will now be on W St. W St. will allow you to shoot across several blocks to 14th St. As you turn right on 14th St., you will see Busboys on the left down a block. If you see any parking on 14th St. grab it, or on one of the side streets. Or you can go down to U St., turn right, and within 500 yards you'll see the Reeves Center Garage on the right (it's set back a little).

6. Parking and Metro Logistics: Please note that we are meeting at Busboys, 14th and V, not Busboys, 5th and K!

Metro: This Busboys is a couple of blocks from the green line stop near the U Street/Cardozo metro station.

Parking Garage: The last time I checked, lots of parking was available after 6PM at the Reeves Government Center for $10 - the entrance to the parking is on U Street between 14th and 15th. Actual address is: Frank D. Reeves Municipal Center, 2000 14th Street NW (14th & U St), Washington, DC 20005)

Street parking is also available - best times for street parking is early in the evening on 14th Street or V Street - it is free after 6:30PM and on Weekends all day.

Looking forward to tonight!

Best, Glenn