DC Theology Pub Message Board › final details for tonight's Islamophobia event
Hi all, here are some final logistical details for tonight’s conversation with Imam Hendi and Rev. Martin:
1. Start and End times: We will try and start around 6:45PM. We must be out of the room by 8:30PM for another event. If you arrive and tables are packed up front, there should be room in the back of the room. Many people arrive late and mistakenly think there’s no free seats. If you look closely there are usually free seats. Feel free to sit at any table where there are people already talking. People are expecting people to squeeze in during the event. Also, if it’s crowded feel free to stand at the back of the room while you scan for a free seat. The Cullen Room is in the back of the Busboys, 5th and K.
2. Books: There are no books to sign for this event!
3. Food: Please order food and drink in the Cullen room if you were planning on having dinner out anyway. It helps support Busboys as they offer inexpensive space for events such as ours. Also, please tip your waiter/waitress generously, we don’t want a reputation as a stingy group that likes to talk about “love” and “God” in the abstract.
4. Discussions around tables and Q & A: I’m borrowing the format that Busboys & Poets follows during their book signing events where people are encouraged to discuss a question before and after the speakers’ book talk. If you don’t want to talk with people tonight, that would be a good time to go to the bar and get a drink! Ha ha ha… But seriously, one of the points of events like this is to meet others with similar interests.
5. Parking: Please note that we are meeting at Busboys, 5th & K, not Busboys, 14th &V! The actual address is: 1025 5th Street NW, Washington, DC. There is a huge parking lot across from Busboys on 5th Street. Also, there’s one in the basement of the shopping center.
This Busboys is about 5 blocks north of Chinatown Metro station (red, green, & yellow lines), and 2 blocks east of the Mt. Vernon/Washington Convention Center (Green and Yellow lines). We will be meeting in the back Cullen Room where all big cultural events take place.
6. Donations accepted: if you would like to help cover the costs of the room rental, we’ll have a box near the exit for people to drop in a donation. If everyone pitched in $4 to help we could pay for the room easily (if you can help with a bigger donation, maybe $8, that would be great too). Our events are free, the room rental is inexpensive, but we do need donations from friends to cover the expense of the room.
Looking forward to tonight!
Best, Glenn & Jen