DC UL Backpacking Message Board Trip Planning and Updates › DC UL: Adventure Photography: A Word from Josh and Carly ...

DC UL: Adventure Photography: A Word from Josh and Carly ...

Michael M.
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
We're moving right along!  Weather is looking good.  Too cloudy for astro-photography, but no rain in the forecast, and lows around the freezing mark.
Josh has some advice for participants, and I'll have a final update tomorrow.
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all as excited for this trip as we are! Carly and I are really looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing some photography knowledge with ya. I just wanted to mention a few things as we all make our preparations this week.

Do not underestimate your memory and battery situation! Clear them, charge them, have backups, and more backups. Seriously, bring everyone you got. This is not a 'normal' weekend where a single charge and a 4gb card suffice. We are going to be snapping away like crazy and Saturday is going to be a long day. Lets make sure we've got enough juice to make it through.

So the weather - Well, you can't predict it, but you CAN be prepared for it. I recommend making a rain sleeve a permanent part of your camera bags. They are very cheap and weigh practically nothing. And if you don't have time to order one before this trip, Carly has a little trick that involves turning a rubber band and a trash bag into a DSLR rain sleeve. So add those items to your pack for this trip, just in case. A little sprinkle can't stop us! In fact, what better way to be prepared for less than ideal shooting conditions, then to get out there and conquer them this weekend!

And finally, I have included two informative links that are relevant to this weekends trip. Give them a quick peek for some valuable info.

Shooting in cold weather:

Maximizing Battery life:

Please reach out to us if you have any questions. See you Friday night!