align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

DC UL Backpacking Message Board Trip Planning and Updates › DC UL: Adventure Planning Workshop: FINAL UPDATE: IMPORTANT!!

DC UL: Adventure Planning Workshop: FINAL UPDATE: IMPORTANT!!

Michael M.
mrmartin
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
OK, everyone:

This is it.  This e-mail adds on to the one I sent earlier in the week.  The weather appears to be cooperating fairly well.  No real chance of rain.  Temps will be much milder.

If I'm not seeing you at Vienna, North Lot, at 6pm, Friday, I expect that I will see you at the parking lot for the cabin, which is point B on this map.  Please make sure I am current on where you will be, and when.  Essentially, I think I am meeting Brian, Hollis, Mimi, David D, Dmitri, Sally, and Mark at Vienna.  Carly and Josh will either be at Vienna, or at the trailhead.  Serina and Rebecca, from OCB, will be coming up from the south, and will meet us at the trailhead.

571-225-6763. Keep me apprised if you're late, lost, or whatever.

The Agenda

Saturday

8am-10am--morning photography session on gear, shooting in manual
10am-11:30am or so--hike to Double Top mountain
Noon-1:30pm--second session on top of mountain, panorama, people in landscapes
1:30pm-3pm--descend Double Top, walking over to Climbing Rose Falls
3pm-5pm--Third session with waterfalls, shooting snow and ice (waterfall is likely frozen)
5:30pm or so--Return to cabin, dinner, etc.
7pm--UL backpacking 101
8pm--bonus session: astro-photography if skies are clear (more likely panoramic photos in Photoshop).

Sunday
9am-11am: final session
Head home for Superbowl

The Hiking

The hiking is not long ... maybe 6 or so miles total, but it does involve the climb up Double Top, which is steep and tough, as well as a bushwhack to the lovely and rarely visited Climbing Rose Falls.  I've tried to do my best to keep photography in the center--not strenuous hiking--while still giving us interesting stuff to photograph.  A tough balancing act--I want us to be happy carrying our tripods around.

So bring your ordinary winter hiking gear.  A traction device is not a bad idea.  I don't think you need super warm stuff, but good gloves are definitely in order.  Keep in mind that you will be standing around a lot with the camera, so dress warmly.

Gear

Be sure to bring a pad and a sleeping bag for the cabin.  Oh, and ear plugs!!!

The Menu

Thanks to Mimi and Hollis, this is turning into quite the culinary trip.  Mimi and Hollis, make sure to let me know what I need to reimburse you.  This trip has a budget.

Friday night

Mimi is bringing things for a quick dinner over the wood-burning stove

Saturday and Sunday mornings

I will be bringing eggs, bacon, cheese, milk, coffee, and bagels for everyone.

Saturday lunch

I will bring sandwich stuff, both veg and non-veg.

Saturday dinner

Boeuf bourguignon, my dish, and some crusty bread.  Mimi is bringing salad and dessert.  Hollis is bringing a veg. gnocchi dish.

If others want to fill in around these dishes, I believe we're set.

I'll have paper plates, cutlery, and such, so we don't have to wash dishes.  I will bring some fire starting gear, too.

I think that is it. Anything I'm missing?

See everyone Friday!

U-Turn