DC Metro Volleyball Group Message Board › Places to play volleyball in DC/VA/MD

Places to play volleyball in DC/VA/MD

A former member
Post #: 1
I just discovered last week that my neighborhood in NE DC (Brookland ) has a rec. center with indoor volleyball every Tuesdays at 7:15 PM. The place is called Turkey Thicket Recreation Center on 10th St NE and Quincy St NE (near the Brookland/CUA red metro station.

It's just social playing, not part of a league or anything. It's a mix of various skill levels (men/women). I live nearby so it's okay for me (I get to know some neighbors too).

All you need to do is register at the center desk (sign up to be in the facility).

I wanted to add another option in DC for league play (16th & Q) - they seem to have a new league each season - only 1 level of play though:

http://washingtondcjc...­

You can also get a list from my web site.
Outdoors - http://www.geocities....­

Indoors - http://www.geocities....­

A former member
Post #: 1
Volleyball House in Elkridge, MD on Friday nights is the best drop-in VB I've found. 6pm to midnight. There are six courts going by 9pm, going from beginner all the way up to two AA courts. The players on the AA courts are usually at a high enough level that plays are run occasionally (Xs, etc.), back row attacks, tandem blocking, use of a libero. The cost for A and AA courts is $7, and lower levels is $6. Warning: the wait for the higher level courts is ATROCIOUS, talking like 1 hour+.

I'd like to find a place with a reasonable wait and AA level play. And nice people. And free food and beer (just kidding). Is this hopeless?
Carla
CarlaR
Group Organizer
Arlington, VA
Post #: 1,982
I have heard a lot of good things about the VBall House, but haven't tried it yet (soooo far!). I might just suck it up and make the drive there someday...
Steverino
user 3938290
Kensington, MD
Post #: 11
Volley Ball House is truly a mecca for those folks volleyball obsessed. However, it is truly a cool place to come and check out. Some of the best and most obsessed players in the region play here. I love the retro industrial look of this place, plus cold drinks, junk food and a rockin' sound system. I was amazed to discover their music flows from a little iPOD. The fans here are huge, like airplane propellers, to keep players cool.

There are six courts of play for all levels of players and you just keep moving up the chain until you hit your level. A group of my acquaintances who were there one night I happened to drop in were beating all comers. Funny how, whereever you play in this region, John Adams ES in Alexandria, Leland Comm Center in Bethesda, Bauer in Rockville or even at the U of MD., you run into the same players here at the VBH. I guess if you want to play the best level of competition, you have to come here to do so.

Fridays from 6:30 PM until 1 AM, you can play until your legs give out. You pay $6 or $7 to put your name in and folks make up teams then go out on the court and play. You win, you move up. This place used to be a warehouse until those who created it gutted the insides and re fitted it as a VB venue. I think that the fishnets that divide every court from every other court should be de rigeur at all indoor courts in the DC region. It totally stops any errant, high speed balls from flying onto your court from a court on either side. I wonder how that could be implemented region wide.

Elkridge IS a schlep from Montgomery County and DC but even FARTHER for you folks in Virginia. Figure an hour at least and you may wish to Map quest it, since the road that the VBH is on is off of Route 1 north so it is quite east of I 95. This road is narrow and twisty and windy so be warned. Parking is ample and the atmosphere there is intoxicating. Hmm, maybe that is oxygen deprivation or the smell of sweat and pheremones?

VBH is definitely an experience. Bring lots of cold waters, a snack for carbs, a towel to dry off and enjoy yourselves. If for no other reason, six courts of continuous play is a spectacle and fun to watch. But if you go, plan on staying the whole evening. It is truly a rush for any volleyball junkie!
Aaron
daooch
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 27
If any volleyball addicts decide to hit the vbhouse any Friday evening I'd love to carpool w/ you! Wouldn't mind chipping in for gas and pre-game snacks .... :-) It's a been a while since I've done Fri nite vbhouse ..... used to do it every weekend, even when it was still in Columbia. good times!

Ooch
daooch@hotmail.com
rsantos
user 11018596
Greenbelt, MD
Post #: 2
Greenbelt Sportsplex will have one court available (Indoors) when it opens in March 2010.