DFW Scrum Message Board › DFW Scrum Retrospective

DFW Scrum Retrospective

Lance D.
lance.dacy
Group Organizer
Irving, TX
Post #: 92
Gary, Allison, and I went "off-site" this week to have a retrospective of our own. We came away with some great take-aways from the last few years and reflected on some of the best times. I would love to hear from the group as well...I placed this in a discussion area (haven't used it much before, only for bulletin board). So let's get conversation going on whats going well and what's not going so well so we can start prioritizing and working on our improvement backlog.
Charles B.
charles_bradley
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Dear Lance, Gary, and Allison,

#1 Thank you for all of your hard work as leaders of DFW Scrum. As someone who has led user groups before, I know that you guys do a lot of work behind the scenes that the casual member will never see. It is a wonderful service to the community that you do, and I'm sure I can speak for all of us when I say that we appreciate your hard work that you do for no pay. Cheers! :-)

#2 My suggestions below are not well formed, so please feel free to wad them up and bat them around.

My suggestion would be to somehow work a mini-retrospective into each meeting. Due to the large audience size, some optimizations might need to be made.

For instance, maybe distribute index cards or stickies for people to do a plus delta analysis on as they return from breakouts or towards the end of the meeting. You cold also hand out the cards at the beginning of the meeting so people could jot down plusses and deltas as they discover them.

One could arrange stickies on the board, grouping themes, as people return from breakout sessions. You could have different colored stickies for each breakout group so as to easily group feedback for each breakout. (Obviously the breakout stuff wouldn't apply if the meeting format doesn't include breakout discussions.)

Or, with cards, they could be dropped into a box and the leaders could read a few plusses and a few deltas at the meeting, while analyzing all of the cards at a later time.

Another way to do it would be to have a pre-printed card/half sheet of paper that, in addition to room for plusses and deltas, also had a couple of checkbox type assessments (1 to 5 stars?), similar to the surveys that they do at Agile conferences.

Anyways, those are my not so well formed ideas for improvement.

Charles Bradley
TTCrockeTT
tycrockett
Rowlett, TX
Post #: 11
Good call for opinions.

I dig Charles' idea of having retrospective stuff every meeting. I would not like to be the person who has to read, organize, and act on that.

I want to say that I love the BYOT and break outs as much as I love hearing from the industry thought leaders.

I would like to see some social events (like happy hours and such) of just meeting with other Scrummy peeps that are separate from our regularly scheduled meetups.

Scrum On!
Charles B.
charles_bradley
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
+ 1 to Ty's comments.

Ty, you make a good point about the empirical data collection methods I suggested -- they may be too heavy weight for a group this large. We seem to have 3 group leaders that just so happen to have good facilitation skills. Maybe one of them could do a very quick plus delta verbally with the audience?

On second thought, maybe I'm focusing too much on the "how" and not enough on the "what" of my suggestion.

This is my user story description:

As a DFW Scrum attendee,
I want the DFW Scrum group to create a way to simulate a retrospective each meeting,
so that:

• good information is gleaned on how the DFW Scrum group can deliver more 'user group value' to its attendees at every meeting, AND
  • the group's activities model the Scrum ideals of retrospect, inspect, and adapt."

Chris M.
user 51953602
Plano, TX
Post #: 1
I dig what Ty is saying as well, not just because he was nice to me on my first visit to the group.

I have small kids, so staying for the full meeting time is difficult for me. The format of this week's meeting was great because I could just stay for the breakout session and then take off. However, if we did a social gathering it also lends itself to being able to come and go as my time permits.

Plus, there's the whole "being able to enjoy a beer and call it professional development" part too.
Lance D.
lance.dacy
Group Organizer
Irving, TX
Post #: 93
Keep it coming guys!