This is a FREE, volunteer-run, non-commercial MeetUp Group by passionate Disco Lovers for true Disco Lovers in the Los Angeles area.
REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN US (ALL MUST BE MET)
- Must be over 18 years old (per Meetup's own requirements)
- Must be a FULL-TIME resident of the Greater Los Angeles area (Sorry, no exceptions)
- Must post your first name in your profile (if it's not part of your Meetup ID)
- Must post a clear FACE photo of YOU (Anonymous members will NOT be accepted)
- Must not be a Vendor, Promoter, Sponsor or anyone trying to SELL us ANYTHING (See note about Vendors/Sponsors/Promoters below)
- Must answer ALL of our silly questions (especially the one about your Favorite Disco Song)
- Must understand what Disco music is and isn't (Read the very important note below to avoid having your request to join us be declined)
- Must be willing to participate in our events in person, as often as possible
- And of course, must LOOOOOOVE Disco Music (Disco Liker only? We're probably not the right group for you)
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE (PLEASE READ BEFORE REQUESTING TO JOIN US): We welcome all "True/Classic Disco" lovers.. Please please please: Make sure you know your Disco when requesting to join us. Many people don't, are misinformed about Disco, are confused, etc. This group is NOT about "Italo-Disco", Hi-NRG, FreeStyle, Miami Sound, House or other Dance Music from the 80s, 90s and beyond.. If you're not sure what Disco is, please check the following great Reference Sites: http://www.discosavvy.com/ - http://www.disco-disco.com/index.shtml - http://www.discomusic.com/
Please help us keep Disco CLEAN, PURE and FREE from ALL artificial ingredients!!
ATTENTION DJs, VENDORS, SPONSORS OR PROMOTERS
- If you are interested in letting us know about a TRUE Disco night coming up, please use the CONTACT Us button on the left-hand side. In your request, be very specific about the type of Disco which will be played (examples, length of sets, etc..)
- There is NO need to join us unless YOU yourself will participate in SEVERAL events a year.
About the LA DISCO SOCIETY
In the heyday of Disco Music, in the 70s and early 80s, hundreds of great Disco songs were crafted and to this day, we keep discovering some amazing gems that not many people know or have heard.
In 2007, the Los Angeles Disco Society became the VERY FIRST Disco Meetup in the WORLD, after successfully convincing Meetup.com to add Disco as a Music Genre.
While we will celebrate ALL the various styles of Disco Music and its big massive blockbuster hits like "YMCA", "Le Freak", "I Will Survive", "Hot Stuff" and others, we will also try to expand our own knowledge by discovering the hits that only made it regionally or in Europe and didn't get the club or radio airplay they deserved, the more obscure but drop-dead gorgeous pieces that came out perhaps at the wrong time,etc
We will also sponsor potluck get-togethers or even outings to local clubs. Members can bring and share their favorite songs and allow us all to discover or enjoy some great music.
BTW we don't discriminate against anyone. This group is open to ALL (read important note below however)!
So If you're cool, friendly, funny, have a lot of integrity, are willing to participate regularly (both with emails and on our outings) and you LOOOOOOOVE Disco, JOIN US NOW!! it's FREEE!!!!
And get ready to GET DOWN and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE!!! ))
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.
— Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers