DIYbio Toronto Message Board › Learning bioinformatics -

Learning bioinformatics -

user 10735347
Toronto, ON
Post #: 3
If you're interested in both biology and computer programming, you'll probably enjoy doing the problems on­

You write programs to solve problems, starting with simple problems and working up to some pretty complex bioinformatics algorithms. Each problem has a background explanation (click the "click to expand" link under each title to see it), then:

- it gives you some data to download
- you process the data with the program you've written
- you upload your answer to see if your program solved the problem correctly.

I found it an enjoyable way to learn, starting with simple stuff and working up to some really mind-bending, hair-pulling problems that took me a couple of weeks to wrap my head around.

They also have a few Python introductory problems if you don't know any programming languages:­

...and some problems that introduce you to already written bioinformatics toolkits like BioPython:­

Samantha C.
North York, ON
Post #: 13

if you progress through and become interested in trying out your own GWAS (genome-wide association study) sometime, may i be so bold as to suggest playing with's database of participant submitted phenotype annotated genomic data! :)