Congratulations to our Mar-Apr DWG short story contest
We didn't have enough entries this time to award more than
one prize. The winner is: Darkness by Wolf Bolz. If you'd like to read the winning story, see the updated info below.
Thank you to everyone who submitted stories and I hope to
see more of your stories in future contests!
Contest Changes (Please Read)
I've made some changes to the DWG Short Story contest for the next round (Jun-Jul). I believe that this will make the process easier, cleaner, and more professional.
- The contest information has moved to a non-Meetup website: http://durhamwritersgroup.wordpress.com/. Everything related to the contests can be found there. I have added the link to the contest information in the DWG Pages section on our Meetup site.
- Since winner's stories are shared with the group, I wanted to protect them on the new site from the general public.Each winning story will be converted to a PDF and password protected before it it posted to the new site. The password to open and view the winning stories is: "writer@DWG!" This is cumbersome but I felt it prudent to protect the authors' work as much as possible, even though they are already protected by copyright.
- I will also be opening these contests to another local writer's group, the Raleigh Write to Publish Meetup group, which has about 1,200 members. Hopefully this will net more submissions and hence greater competition.
- Stories must be submitted in a standard format in order to be judged. It sounds complicated but it isn't. The formatting guidelines are straightforward and easy to follow. The guidelines can be found here: http://durhamwritersgroup.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/submission-formatting.pdf. Not only will following these guidelines make it easier for the judges but it will get you, as writers, used to submitting your work professionally for publication.
- I am also changing the way custom titles are handled for the winners. From now on only the most recent contest winners will have a custom title. Previous related custom titles will be cleared.
I hope you enjoy the new contest site and are inspired to submit a story in an upcoming contest. Feel free to leave any comments on the Comments page on the new site. Thank you.
Organizer, Durham Writer's Group