addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Dallas Atheist Book Club Message Board › August 2012 book suggestions - Middle East history and/or Legal

August 2012 book suggestions - Middle East history and/or Legal

Jason H.
that_guy
Dallas, TX
Post #: 244
Post ideas here!
Bill P.
user 10492078
Dallas, TX
Post #: 12
Do we need to consider the book length when suggesting? There are many fine books on Middle East history and lots of them are very thick!
Luis G.
user 9206260
Dallas, TX
Post #: 9
I've got a couple of suggestions.

For a journalist point of view, there's The Great War for Civilisation By Robert Fisk

A more academic review, especially of the modern Middle East, there's Rashid Khalidi's Resurrecting Empire It's not without its detractors.

If you want something more in depth, Eugene Rogan's The Arabs: A history is remarkable, but it's not exactly a light read. It's my favorite overview of the Arab Middle East.

If we can define "Middle East" loosely, Lost to the West by Lars Brownworth is a great narrative history of the Byzantine Empire. Among other things, it goes into the tumultuous relationship between the Catholic and Orthodox churches.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with "Lost to the West". It's a good balance between history and storytelling.

[edit: I accidentally the whole apostrophe]
Scott B.
user 10302406
Dallas, TX
Post #: 32
Shadow of the Silk Road

Colin Thubron

http://www.amazon.com...­
Bill P.
user 10492078
Dallas, TX
Post #: 13
OK then, if length is not an issue:

Middle East History:

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk (see above)

A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani

Legal:

How about The Federalist (Hamilton, Jay, Madison) which would make a nice dovetail with Founding Brothers...?
Jason H.
that_guy
Dallas, TX
Post #: 245
Length is always an issue. Since we only have a month to read the books we choose, the guidelines I go by are books less than 350 pages.

http://www.meetup.com...­