Dallas Atheist Book Club Message Board › May 2013 book suggestions - Philosophy & Ethics

May 2013 book suggestions - Philosophy & Ethics

Jason H.
Dallas, TX
Post #: 263
Please include the name and author of the book and a link on a website like Amazon.com.
The book you suggest should be readable in one month or less and be less than about 350 pages. Keep in mind cost and availability when recommending a book.
Paulo G.
user 11011087
Rhome, TX
Post #: 12

Rachel Maddow "Drift: the Unmooring of American Military Power"
Scott B.
user 10302406
Dallas, TX
Post #: 41
Thinking about Mathematics: The Philosophy of Mathematics
by Stewart Shapiro

Not sure if the cost/availability makes this a good choice, but I really want to read it!

Luis G.
user 9206260
Dallas, TX
Post #: 10
I'm not sure what the group is interested, so I'll give several suggestions. All lightweight.

(Aside: I'm purposefully staying away from any heavyweights. There are many good books about philosophy and ethics, but most of them take more than a month to read and more than a night to discuss. For the format of this reading group, a slog through the ol' Nicomachean would be more drudgery than enjoyment. )

The suggestions:

You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself By David McRaney

Some will argue this is more psychology than philosophy/ethics. But there's some good material. It might just be a reprint off all the material from the YANSS website. Thoughts?

The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher by Julian Baggini

This more about ethical thought experiments than a exposition of ethical or philosophical concepts. He has several books about philosophy, all seem ripe for discussion. Julian came by and had dinner with one of the Dallas groups while he was touring the US.

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? by Michael J. Sandel

A more traditional intro to ethics. Sandel teachers an intro to ethics course based on this book. There's an interview from KERA's "Think" where he talks about his newest book, "What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets". Interview

Is anyone interested in any of these?

[Edit: I accidentally the whole hyperlink]
Fabi G.
user 65910582
Flower Mound, TX
Post #: 1
Has the group read this one yet?

The God Virus
Skip K.
Carrollton, TX
Post #: 33
The Outsider Test for Faith: How to Know Which Religion Is True by John W Loftus has some interesting reviews.

Keith K.
user 12906323
Dallas, TX
Post #: 20
So that the 60 or so people that will vote will have 2 more items to choose from I will nominate a “fun read” book and a self examining book that requires some study..

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar . . .: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein (Jun 24, 2008)

230 pages and available for download.

Do You Think What You Think You Think? by Julian Baggini and Jeremy Stangroom (Aug 28, 2007)

Is your brain ready for a thorough philosophical health check?

185 pages and available for download