The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › The Exodus Decoded

The Exodus Decoded

A former member
Post #: 722
Wow! Don't miss this! A scientific explanation to the splitting of the river, changing of the color of the river to red, the plague, the death of every fifth child and much more. Check your local listings.

Norm
A former member
Post #: 734
Well, I got a copy through Netflix. Why did every first born die....because they all slept on the first floor and the gases from the earthquakes killed them. Why did the water turn red....because the iron deposits mixed with CO2 (from the earthquakes). What caused the famine....the decreased in crop production and the killing of plants by the massive cloud cover from the earthquakes. What caused the plague....the dead fish from the lack of O2 in the water (from earthquakes). What caused the frog manifestation.....frogs were able to leave the water and survive. Did the Red sea really split....no, the Reed Sea split due to the earthquakes (a translation error). Where armies drowned by tsunamis....yes, they were caused by the earthquakes. How do we know that this happened at the precise time...because the geological evidence supports the catastrophic events of the time.

Interested....show it in your area...bring a Christian friend.
Jeffrey G.
jeffrey
Plano, TX
Post #: 7
What makes my skeptical of this kind of effort (explaining the plagues of Exodus) is that the linguistic evidence indicates that the Hebrews were never the slaves of the Egyptians in the first place. When one group is enslaved by another you get a lot of words borrowed back and forth (mostly from the masters' language to the slaves' language, but also the other way round). We just don't find the right mix of Coptic words in Hebrew or Hebrew words in Coptic that would be expected by the kind of contact between the two languages described in Exodus.

I really think searching for a historical explanation for a myth doesn't make a great deal of sense here.