addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Dallas Sci-Fi Book Club Message Board › New Book Choices -- Add selections of your choice in the comments and then w

New Book Choices -- Add selections of your choice in the comments and then we will vote

A former member
Post #: 1
I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'd definitely be partial to seeing more diversity in the authors chosen (i.e. more females, POC, etc.).

For those on Good Reads, did you see this?
https://www.goodreads...­

And my loveslave/currently-favourite-author John Scalzi also has a list of new/upcoming authors he features with descriptions of the book they're plugging. My personal goal is to work through all these at some point. Lots of fantasy and you may have to dig through to find the sci-fi ones, but may be worth checking out:
http://whatever.scalz...­

And NPR's book concierge:
http://apps.npr.org/b...­
John N.
johnnicholas
Dallas, TX
Post #: 3
I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'd definitely be partial to seeing more diversity in the authors chosen (i.e. more females, POC, etc.).
Good point, here are some good ones I've read that fit that.

I mentioned Annie Leckie's Ancillary Justice upthread which is a very entertaining space opera and has shown up on several best of 2013 lists.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin is an interesting fantasy book that was a Hugo nominee in 2011.

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor is a fantasy story set in a scifi africa and won the 2011 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel.

Kathleen Goonan wrote a great cyberpunk / nanotech series starting with Queen City Jazz that few seem to have heard of.

There's some good classics too like Octavia Butler's Dawn series and Parable of the Sower series. Connie Willis has some great stuff, especially her time travel books like To Say Nothing of the Dog.

I'd be interested in recs of any scifi from other countries. I saw an article not to long ago about the rise of Chinese scifi for example.
Roy A.
RoyAA
Dallas, TX
Post #: 10

I don't view this as an interesting criteria. I am looking for people to recommend books that they have read that they have really enjoyed or books that they think are going to be great reading experiences. It is certainly true that people have different tastes and what I may find enjoyable may not match what others enjoy and vice versa. I delight in being exposed to other's good books even if I may not like all of them. Other than that, I tend to be neutral regarding gender, POC, etc.

I will add one more oldie to the mix, a blend of SF and Fantasy, "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers. This is a story of Ancient Egyptian Sorcerers fighting an end game against the modern era, a corporation discovering a kind of limited time travel that tries to finance itself with tours of literary England of the early nineteenth century, and of the scholar hired as a tour guide who gets left behind. That is the start of a wild adventure with " ancient gods, wizards, the Knights Templar, werewolves, and other quasi-mortals, all wrapped in the organizing fabric of Egyptian mythology." (From Amazon description) Overall, I loved the authors ability to paint the scenes in glorious imagery leaving me thinking what a great movie this would make.
John N.
johnnicholas
Dallas, TX
Post #: 4
I just saw the 2013 Philip K. Dick Award nominees, Ancillary Justice I had mentioned upthread but the rest I haven't heard of. Seems like a good place to find some new authors few us will have heard of yet still have someone vouching for their quality. Also this award is only scifi, compared to Nebula and Hugo which are increasingly Fantasy dominated. Last nebula nominee list only had one real scifi book, 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson.

A Calculated Life, Anne Charnock - "Stunningly relevant re-imagining of 21st century Britain as a bioengineered corporate dystopia."

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter, Cassandra Rose Clarke - "Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world."

Self-Reference Engine, Toh EnJoe, translated by Terry Gallagher - This one sounds really weird and experimental

Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie - Really good space opera where a soldier who used to be a ship intelligence out for revenge.

Life on the Preservation, Jack Skillingstead - "Inside the Seattle Preservation Dome it's always the Fifth of October, the city caught in an endless time loop. "Reformed" graffiti artist Ian Palmer is the only one who knows the truth, and he is desperate to wake up the rest of the city before the alien Curator of this human museum erases Ian's identity forever."

Countdown City, Ben H. Winters - sequel to The Last Policeman which was a pretty good apocalyptic story where an asteroid is heading for earth.
Diane
user 2567054
Dallas, TX
Post #: 29
Ok, I just had a quick look at the books we are voting on.
It looks like the majority of the books are new.
I want to say that books 600, 800 or 1000 pages long are a bit too much for me for a monthly book club. (I belong to 3 :) Ok I'll be honest 400 pages and I'm not sure I'll get it done. LOL
I know some of you are very fast readers. And it will be interesting to see if the new selections bring in members that haven't been attending.
Just my 2 cents. :-)
Diane
user 2567054
Dallas, TX
Post #: 30
So what's it gonna be!!!
Tammy
user 7784328
Dallas, TX
Post #: 22
Following up on a couple things:

Seconding Amanda's comment about diversity.

Seconding Diane's comment about 1K page novels, if only because it leaves less time for reading the thousands of other books we all want to read. :)

A possible solution: Aqueduct Press has a series of novellas (their Conversations Series) here http://www.aqueductpr...­. I have a few books from this series on order, and once I've read those, I'll comment here. Their monthly journal, The Cascadia Subduction Zone (http://thecsz.com/...­) has reviews as well. Hope this is useful.