We don't frequently send email to all DSDC members (almost 1500!), but we've got enough items of interest queued up that it seemed worthwhile to do so now.
- Turnout has been SO strong for Data Science DC Meetups that we naturally wondered... how best can we visualize that? So today a challenge is being issued to the group: we're looking for the Best Data Visualization around DSDC's RSVPs. We're providing the data but it's up to you to tell the story. Whatever our judges think is the most engaging and clever wins. The visualization can be a glossy static image, or an interactive web page, or 3D-printed if you're into that sort of thing. And besides the considerable bragging rights, we're working on a fabulous prize! Um, if you want to offer a fabulous prize, please let us know. One of our members, David Luria ([address removed]), will be coordinating entries which must be submitted to him no later than Friday Dec. 14th for consideration. Please contact him if you have questions. Good luck! The data is here: http://files.meetup.com/2215331/RegistrationData.csv
- Two don't-miss DC2 Meetup events coming up, in addition to DSDC's December event! The R Meetup has Hadley Wickham, author of a number of important visualization, data manipulation, and package development packages, talking about future directions for data analysis. And Data Business DC has several people telling compelling stories about productizing government data.
- Speaking of events, the Data Community DC events page lists twelve events before the end of the year, from a variety of organizations (not just DC2), including Meetups, seminars, and a holiday party! More events are added frequently. We also encourage everyone to follow Data Community DC on Twitter, to subscribe to the blog, and look for jobs/skilled employees on the jobs page.
- As DSDC grows, there's a continuing need for sponsorship so we can continue to provide the best events! If your company or organization would like to help us out financially, and to get your name in front of hundreds of talented data people every month, please drop us a line. There are DC2 sponsorship opportunities as well.
- A few members of this Meetup group are independently looking into creating a peer-to-peer marketplace for professional skills tutoring focused specifically on data science, statistics, and analytics. Please take their 30-second survey! http://datatutoring.weebly.com/
Also, if you're interested in getting more involved with DSDC or DC2 planning and organization, please let us know. Thanks!
-Harlan, Marck, and Sean