Dayton Dogs Unleashed Message Board › Financial support for surgery

Financial support for surgery

A former member
Post #: 4
Hello.

Just when I thought Frieda and I would be able to join you for an outing, I found her limping and she now needs surgery for her ACL in her right knee.

My vet is great and says their practice has funds for folks like me on a very moderate income. He also encouraged me to surf the web for other possibilities however i have come up empty handed at this time.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? It's been a rough time having her stay still and sleep in her crate at night rather than at the foot of the bed with me. This has been going on for 3.5 weeks, after medication in order to see if she could heal on her own. I'm now afraid she definitely will have to have surgery which will cost 1 to 3 thousand dollars!

Any assistance with pointing me in the right direction for financial assistance would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,
Felicia
A former member
Post #: 32
Oh no! I sure hope her knee gets better!

Care Credit is great if you have good credit. It is a credit card, but as long as you pay for the surgery within the promotional period they gave you they don't charge interest.

Another good idea is just trying to find a credit card with 0% APR for a year or something like that. Of course that all depends on if you have good credit too.

Some vets may be willing to set up a payment plan for you. Most will only do that if you have been a client there before and have always paid on time.

The animal shelters may have some suggestions too. I'd give them a call.

Here is a non-surgical option. I don't know how well it would work though as I have not heard of anyone using one. Might be something to talk to your vet about. Ortho Pets

The one thing that is hard about ACL tears is that once one tears the other one usually does too due to the extra strain on the other knee when the dog is limping. Hopefully that won't happen with Frieda though.
Amy R.
arobinette
Dayton, OH
Post #: 28
purhaps you can do like a fund raiser type of deal. I would defialty see if your vet will work with you or call around and talk to one that may.
A former member
Post #: 19
I don't know anything personally about these but may be worth checking out:
http://www.thepetfund...­
http://www.humanesoci...­