align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

DemocracyLab Message Board › DemocracyLab Project Onboarding Survey

DemocracyLab Project Onboarding Survey

Mark F.
MarkFrischmuth
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to seeing many of you at our Meetup in Seattle tomorrow at the Belltown Pub.  I'd like to discuss the draft Project Onboarding Survey a few of us have been working on for the "Project Portfolio" portion of the Online Dialogue and Deliberation Working Group page at DemocracyLab.org.

Survey results will be used to create 3 documents:

1) Project Profile - this document will show all of the answers a developer submitted in one place, succinctly summarizing what the application is and (equally importantly) is not trying to accomplish;

2) Project Comparison Table - will show the answers various projects have provided in a way that makes it easy to compare the features and strategies different applications have adopted;

3) Element Exploration Page - this document will delve into the range of possibilities in each of the "8 Common Elements of Deliberative Applications", providing a comprehensive look at the strategies that have been implemented or considered in each area, and listing the Apps that have adopted each of the various approaches described.

The benefits to developers for participating will include increased online exposure, the opportunity to compare their thinking to other like-minded developers, the chance to connect with potential collaborators, and the ability to seek out qualified developers and raise funds through the "Developer's Market" and "Donor's Giftshop" portions of the ODDI Working Group page.

This is an idea that's just learning to walk, so any and all suggestions and feedback are welcome.  I'll look forward to our conversations tomorrow and online.

Cheers,
Mark
Steven R.
user 79591652
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
You clearly put a lot of time and effort into the onboarding survey. It looks very comprehensive. Here are a few initial comments:

II. Identity / c. Demographic Information -- "i. Demographic Info Required" and "ii. Demographic Info Optional" seem redundant. Is this 2 separate options in case there is no demographic info request in general? If so, I would suggest "i. Demographic Info Requested" and "ii. Demographic Info Required".

II. Identity / d. Public Persona / v. Authenticated Identity
Does "authenticated" mean email verification, login via facebook, something else?

IV. Communication / b. Intra-site Communications / i. Forums
2. Threaded discussions -- Should this be simply "Discussion Forums?" Forums can be organized as threaded or chronological. In Agreedis's case, we have multiple forums for individual issues, but decided against making them threaded since you cannot follow a conversation that way. Threaded makes sense when each discussion is independent of the others.

VII. Decision Making / b. Voting Capabilities
Add "iv. Conditional Voting"
This means you are willing to accept an option upon certain conditions. For instance, with Agreedis, you can say you are willing to "accept" a solution as a compromise, but you are not otherwise voting "for" it. We originally let the person specify what percentage of people would need to be willing to accept a solution for them to be willing to accept it as a compromise. For instance, I will accept this solution as a compromise, but only if 60% of people also accept it. We decided dropped the percentage option to simplify, but there is still the concept of conditional voting since that is often the basis of compromise.

Finally, should there be a "revenue model" option? This could include software license, software support, advertising, monthly fees, etc.? We considered a bunch of options for how Agreedis could generate revenue to pay its bills. This is critical for most sites and even some software projects.
Mark F.
MarkFrischmuth
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Thanks Steve, I've incorporated your suggestions into the document. We'll be turning it into a webform and sending it out to you and other interested developers soon. Cheers, Mark