The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › Anime Wasabi Con March 5-7--Anyone going to this?

Anime Wasabi Con March 5-7--Anyone going to this?

imthelorax
imthelroax
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
Just wanted to know if anyone was going to go to this con. I know it's not NDK, but it's another opportunity to see what's out there in anime land. I was planning on going, my nieces are looking forward to the cosplay.

Laters!smile
A former member
Post #: 628
I went the first year, but didn't go last year and probably won't this year either. I won't create a Ning account just to browse their website for event/guest info or the forums. I'm not that into cons, so I need specific events that I want to attend.
Sabrina
user 4893467
Louisville, CO
Post #: 84
Not going because, um, yeah, different country this year, but...as someone who went both previous years...I'd be VERY wary of this con. The first year snafus could have easily been dismissed but when they had the exact same problems last year despite having a different hotel and "better" organization? It's a good social experience but be prepared for a LOT of problems with hotel room reservations, billing, schedules that don't exist until at least halfway through the second day of the con and that change at a moment's notice and often include events that have been rescheduled or canceled entirely, frequent dealer's room closures due to bootleggers, less-than-stellar layouts for getting around (like having artist's alley in tiny hallways and the food area set up in the middle of the busiest area), some sort of conflict between the con and other events at the hotel (first year it was TWO other cons, last year it was a wedding that shut down half the hotel and stranded people on either side of the con), and some sort of issue with registration or badges.

It IS a fun con but for anything other than the social aspect, it's pretty badly run. Last year I just went to hang and run my events so it was more annoying than actually BAD, but...yeah, just be wary and be prepared with backup paperwork from registering and any reservations and whatnot you might have, not to mention a VERY liberal amount of patience. If you've got that, you'll be fine! ^_^.
John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 506
I'm thinking I'll probably drop by on Saturday, if only to trawl the dealer's room. It's a smaller con than NDK, but that also means that the dealer's room isn't the cattle car nightmare that NDK's dealer room can be at times, so I can actually slow down and browse.

Last year it was pretty crowded and disorganized-looking, although to be fair some of that seemed to be a clash with a wedding going on in the hotel at the same weekend... which is a shame on both sides of the clash, I'd say.

A former member
Post #: 71
I've gone for the past 2 years and plan on going to this one-I just hope that I don't die of boredom half way through Saturday-you can only walk throught the dealer's room so many times!
mary p.
user 10024909
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
I went two years ago...disappointing! I can only reiterate everything Sabrina said. I guess I'll pass!
A former member
Post #: 7
I've been disappointed the last two years, but the dealer's room does have some good vendors (especially for Gundam model kits). I'm just going for the dealer's room. Anything else is a bonus.