Denver Free Spanish Network - Spanish Language Meetup Message Board › Road trip to Guatemala -- dinner & discussion

Road trip to Guatemala -- dinner & discussion

user 8261762
Englewood, CO
Post #: 35
Here is the latest on the road trip to Guatemala.

We will be having a get-together at El Tepehuan for anyone interested. Tuesday -- tomorrow -- at El Tepehuan at 5PM.

I am putting together a road trip from Las Vegas Nevada to
Flores/Antigua Guatemala in late summer 2010 and looking for
available riders. Open to everyone, male/female and all make
and model bikes.

Bike: Scooter must be in good road worthy condition. IE: Good or new tires, brakes and engine tuned and able to maintain 70mph daily. Please don’t make your problems, our problems. There will be a chase vehicle with 5’ x 8’ trailer, but NOT for hauling breakdowns. It will haul tools, luggage, coolers, etc.

Riding Ability: Must be an experienced rider. We are not looking for someone that just bought a bike and wants to take a road trip. Basically, we will be on the Pan Am Highway but will encounter many road hazards and you need to know how to ride and rules of the road.

Passport: Must have a valid passport. A passport card will NOT work. Multiple copies of your passport, drivers license, registration will be needed. (3) Insurance will be obtained as we go.

Finances: You must have access to all necessary
finances (Cash/Credit Card/Debit Card) to cover daily expenses.
Figure on a minimum of $100 a day for hotel, food, gas,
insurance and how much you drink. (Yes, we will be partying….
moderately) Hotels will be shared and expenses split.

Duration: This is open for vote. We can take as long as you want. Here is my “open for negotiation” Itinerary and it is a minimum of 8 - 16 days each way. Majority rules.

Leave Las Vegas at 7am and one LONG haul to San Carlos Bay,
Mexico. About a 10/12 hr ride. Or ride to the border and catch
a room. The night in San Carlos Bay by Guaymas, Mexico.

Following day to Mazatlan Mexico for 2 nights (Negotiable)
about 4-5 hours from San Carlos

Leave Mazatlan for Puerto Vallarta for 1-2 nights (negotiable)
about a 4 - 5 hour ride.

Leave PV for Manzanillo, Mexico for 1 night.

Leave Manzanillo for Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo Mexico for the night

Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo for Acapulco Mexico for 1-2 nights.

Acapulco to Huatulco Mexico for the night.

Huatulco to the Guatemalan Border at Tapachula de Cordova
Mexico and Ordonez Guatemala to Antigua Guatemala for 3 nights.

Antigua to Flores Guatemala for 3 nights. Tikal ruins tour,

Here is the kicker. I used to live in Mazatlan for a year. We
can spend as long as you want. I have been to every city
between Mazatlan and Acapulco at least 4 times, so I know the
road that far. Many of those cities are fun to see. Or we can
skip some. Majority rules! You can always see them on the way

Past Acapulco is all new until I get to Antigua Guatemala. I
have been to Antigua/Flores/Tikal before, just not on a
motorcycle. Antigua is a “must see” town. So is Flores and both
are squeaky clean. You will be impressed.

From Antigua, we can stop at Coban which is another awesome
Mayan Ruins on the way to Flores. Flores is a small island in a
fresh water lake formed in a volcano.

Heading back, you can follow another road, follow the same road
back, spend more time, spend less time. This trip of a lifetime
is perfect for a retiree or someone just laid off and drawing
unemployment or someone that wants an awesome road trip.

If you are interested, I would find 5 -25 riding buddys or grab
the ol lady and start planning……..

What is NOT ALLOWED is:

No Colors. This is not about colors, except on the road. It’s about a road trip.

No drugs/guns. Last place you want to be is in a 3rd world jail and we ain’t getting you out of any mess you get yourself into.

No attitudes, no whiners, no princesses, no wussies. Ya’ll carry your own weight and we don’t care if you skipped your meds and are having “issues”.

The rules are simple, have fun or go home. We ain’t “yo mama”.

Registration is $125 per person at sign up to cover the cost of
the chase vehicle, gas, ins, etc. Fully refundable up to 14
days prior to leaving and a complete liability waiver will need
to be signed. We don’t care if you stub your toe or skin your
knee. It’s all about FUN!

Contact me with dates that work for you and we can start
coordinating. Once a definite date is established, registration
will be collected, names, address, phone numbers exchanged, etc.

Here are our plans for the road trip:

First and foremost……FUN PEOPLE!

We need laid back flexible people as this is an adventure, not a hired tour. Not everything will run on schedule and much of the time we will be “winging it” and decisions will be made by the group, not the individual. And if someone is out voted, we don’t want someone pouting the rest of the trip, or bitching. Enjoy the trip and enjoy the good with the bad.

We will be partying and if you develop an “attitude” when drinking, this is probably not the trip for you. Attitude will not be tolerated, no matter what the reason. We want fun independent people that can function as a group.

Yes, you will need a passport. A passport card will not work as you will get your passport stamped in Guatemala. Basically the passport card is for the US borders only. Get passport photos at CVS pharmacies and the passport itself will run about $125 for 10 years. And it takes about 6 weeks to get, so plan ahead.

Make a photocopy of your passport picture page and get it laminated. Carry that with you and keep your passport in a safe place. Also, make copies of your registration/title. I don’t know if you need your title but I would bring a copy or the original with. Mexico only needs registration but not sure about Guatemala.

CVS will give you like 8 passport photos for $6. You might want to go to AAA (American Automobile Association) and get an International Drivers license for $10 and it will require 2 photos. I don’t believe that one is necessary, but I have been stopped in Mexico and they will tell you that you need one, when you don’t. Just another way to extort money from you.

Your US insurance is no good in Mexico. We will obtain Mexican/Guatemalan insurance as we go. If you get your own, double check your VIN and what is actually on the policy. I have had them purposely make a mistake. That way, they have your money and you have no insurance in case of an accident. That way they don’t have to pay.

Your bike needs to be road worthy and we don’t mean for a Sunday afternoon ride. Good tires, good brakes, recent tune-up, good clutch, cables, etc. You know if your bike needs to be wrenched on or not? Don’t take it on the road and hand us your problems.

This is why we ask for experienced riders. They know the rules of the road, and they know how to ride in unforeseen conditions (rain, bad roads, etc)

In the event of a breakdown, you will not be left behind, but let me clarify this? If you breakdown for any reason, we will get your bike off the road and to a shop. However, should you have a major breakdown that lasts days or weeks, that will be your problem and you will need to deal with your problem. We will do what we can and make sure you have a hotel but we won’t wait for days/weeks for you to get running again. This is why we ask for road worthy condition.

If you think a cable might bust, bring an extra but don’t “think” the clutch may or may not go out?