addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Denver Hack Nite Message Board › Interesting article on the value of developers

Interesting article on the value of developers

user 9870630
Denver, CO
Post #: 8
I've long believed that talented developers are HIGHLY undervalued. There's a lot of poseurs out there, however the current economy has shaken a lot of them out of this industry.

Below is an interesting article about how our value is becoming more apparent, read and react accordingly:­
Brent Y.
user 13293359
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
You know, I read the first few paragraphs and thought "this guy is so full of shit", but I kept reading and I'm glad I did. I still don't completely agree with the author's views, but it's an interesting look at the complex economics involved.

Thanks for the link, Kurt!
A former member
Post #: 18
Here's a rebuttal.­
user 9870630
Denver, CO
Post #: 9
Interesting take in the rebuttal. Thanks Pete for sharing.

His main issue is that you can't quantify the 10x differential between "good" and "bad" programming. I agree with that, and its probably good to make that distinction to pointy-haired bosses. What I liked about the Forbes article is that it works to destroy the "programmers are glorified typists" school of thought, I still run into people who think software dev is an advanced form of Excel and once you know a few formulas and tricks, you can just start plugging in numbers and getting results. I had a conversation with a non-technical yoga instructor who had an idea for a smartphone app (who doesn't) and asked me how difficult it would be for her to write it. I did my best to avoid using the word "impossible".

In any event I did agree with both articles, the first in that skilled programmers are undervalued and should do more to take advantage of that, however the 6 pages could be condensed to 3 and I could do without some of the MGMT-speak but hey, it's Forbes, what do you expect? As for the other guy, he could sum up his article with a phrase that has helped me quite a bit in my career: "Manage expectations".

**FUN FACT** The author of the rebuttal article lives on the Island of Hawaii which is where I lived before moving to Denver, small world.