addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Denver Hack Nite Message Board › Software Project Idea: DNS Wiki

Software Project Idea: DNS Wiki

Mark E.
user 22279251
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
A while ago I was consistently going on domain name shopping spree's. While sitting at my desk at work, I'd think of a catchy domain, look it up, and if it was available I'd buy it. But one thing that would have made life a bit easier is a domain wiki. An all-in-one, one-stop shop of user generated and moderator curated DNS info. If the domain is available, a link to buy it will appear (could cover operating costs with referral links), if its not available then a page with detailed info such as: whois, company bio, alexa ranking, etc. shows up. It would be a completely open forum like Wikipedia, but only for domains. Heck... if could even broker domains, not to make tons of money, but to cover operating costs so it doesn't end up panhandling like Wikipedia. I believe if you give people the info they want (unlike GoDaddy, more like Wikipedia), and the idea isn't to price gouge customers but merely to make ends meet, they'll be more likely buy domain names through a service like this.

Thoughts? Vote "Yay" or "Nay"