Fwd: Even if you don't have a dog - -- read & forward crucial news

From: Kathy
Sent on: Thursday, April 1, 2010 7:43 AM
Subject: Even if you don't have a dog - -- read & forward crucial news
>>
>> Please  tell  every dog or cat owner you know. Even if  you don't have
>> a pet,  please pass this to those  who do.
>>
>> Over the weekend,   the doting owner of two young lab mixes  purchased
>> Cocoa Mulch  from Target to  use in their garden. The dogs loved the way
>> it
>> smelled and it was advertised to  keep cats away from  their garden.
>> Their dog  (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good  enough  to eat
>> and devoured a large  helping.  She vomited a few  times which was
>> typical  when she eats something  new but wasn't acting lethargic in any
>> way.  The  next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning
>> walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.
>>
>> Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label,  upon further
>> investigation on the company's web site, this product is HIGHLY toxic to
>> dogs and cats.
>>
>> Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's,  and they claim that "It is
>> true that studies have shown that 50%  of the dogs that eat Cocoa
>> Mulch can suffer  physical  harm  to a variety of  degrees (depending on
>> each individual dog).   However, 98% of all dogs won't eat  it."
>>
>> *Snopes site gives  the following  information:
>> http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
>> <http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp>  *
>>
>> Cocoa Mulch,  which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's   Garden Supply and
>> other Garden supply  stores contains a  lethal ingredient called
>> 'Theobromine'. It  is lethal to dogs and  cats. It smells li ke
>> chocolate and it really  attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff
>> and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last  2-3  weeks.
>>
>> Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate
>> which is  toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean  shells contain potentially toxic
>> quantities of theobromine,   a xanthine compound   similar in effects to
>> caffeine and theophylline.  A dog that  ingested a lethal quantity of
>> garden mulch made from cacao bean  shells  developed severe convulsions
>> and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach  contents and the
>> ingested
>> cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal  amounts of
>> theobromine.
>>
>> **PLEASE  PASS  THIS ON**
>>
>>
>>
>


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version:[masked] / Virus Database:[masked]/2783 - Release Date: 04/01/10
02:35:00

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy