The Denver RPG Group Message Board Conventions › Gen Con 2011 Pre-reg opened yesterday (5/1)

Gen Con 2011 Pre-reg opened yesterday (5/1)

Closed to new replies

Wendy
WAEtoWAR
Denver, CO
Post #: 78
...what did you sign up for? What are you most excited about, games, special events, celebrities, workshops?!?!

I'm draining my vacation to attend school or I'd be there--so now I have to live vicariously through you. :)

When I went in 2009 I attended some great workshops about creative writing and character formulation. I don't write creatively that often, but I really enjoyed hearing what the authors had to say. It has also helped me to think through my new RP character's back stories as I head into a game.

Additionally I attended "Hickman's Killer Breakfast" where author Tracy Hickman (Dragonlance, Deathgate, etc.) hosts a few hundred gamers to sit on stage for a minute or so and relate why their character shouldn't die, but they all do, some have more style than others. I was really impressed by some of the forethought that people put into this event, by dressing up, or bringing loads of props. A group in 2009 erected a painted cardboard castle wall with crenelations, flew a banner, and catapulted a huge plush cow over the wall at the audience. Totally hilarious!

One word of advice to neophytes: don't over book yourself. I scheduled something every 4 hours for 4 day and it was too much. Unlike Denver conventions, these events are spread out from different floors of the convention center to hotels blocks away, you need to figure in travel time. I barely had time to wander in the dealers room (oh and eat and sleep).

Have fun and Happy Gaming!!
Wendy