Design Thinking DC is an action-oriented community of innovative change makers who come together to share knowledge and experience in order to solve complex problems.
Inspired by the human-centered design movement, we connect people from all professional backgrounds who seek to make the world a better place through community-based problem solving.
Here are a few resources, if you're looking for a more comprehensive written introduction to the topic, with present-day context:
- Wikipedia page on design thinking
- "Design Thinking... What is that?" -- a 2006 Fast Company article.
- The Stanford University Institute of Design (d.school)'s perspective on innovation -- some of the methodologies we use were created or popularized by the d.school or IDEO, however, we as a group are open to examining and practicing innovation in many different ways.
- "The Business of Design Thinking" -- a 2013 article in Harvard Magazine featuring the formative story of the Harvard xDesign conference.
- The Design Thinking trove -- an actively curated news feed, which you can follow to receive your choice of timely notifications or email updates.
We look forward to robust discussions on the topic!
Welcome Design Thinkers and Innovators!
811 N Royal Street, Alexandria, VA
A Weekend of Design to Change the World:
--In Coordination with the Global Service Jam--
We're putting aside a few tickets for DT:DC Members! PLEASE RSVP/REGISTER FOR...
Rachel T. (Assistant Director)
February 12 · 6:00 PM
Conversations at Techshop
Please join us for an informal night of conversations, networking, and a chance to explore TechShop!
Get a guided tour of this fabulous local maker space, and then... Learn more
January 20 · 6:30 PM
Design Thinking: 101
Happy New Year innovators! We're kicking things off with another 101, especially for our newer members who have never done a one. We consider running through this... Learn more
December 16, 2014 · 6:30 PM
Help Engage the "P" in PBS!
DT:DC is excited to partner with the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) for a special design challenge: How do we help expand the "public" in "Public Media?" We'll hear... Learn more
November 17, 2014 · 6:30 PM
What's in Your Bag? Tools of the Trade(s)
What is in your "bag?" Take a peek at what local experts in design thinking, design research, prototyping, user testing and visual thinking have in theirs and take... Learn more
October 16, 2014 · 6:30 PM
How to Sell Design Thinking to Your Boss (or Prospective Client)
How do YOU explain "design thinking"? Wish you were more confident proposing an innovation initiative at your organization? Ever feel like you're rambling? IDEO's Merici... Learn more
See all past Meetups