addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Detroit Atheist Social Hub Message Board › TV show project for 2013

TV show project for 2013

A former member
Post #: 582
I want to make a TV show and have been talking about it for a long time at various events. I'm not the greatest at organizing things myself but I don't really see anyone else moving on this.

I find the amount of religious shows on TV/radio to be profane as most of TV is saturated in them and I want a voice of reason in the chaos besides Bones, The Mentalist, House, and all the other shows that just have an atheist character. I want to invite that asshole from The Vortex on and tare him a new one. I have a few ideas and I'd like to share them here.

First I'm not sure if I want to call it "The Atheism Show" or "The Skeptics Show". Technically The Atheist Experience doesn't just deal with Atheism and I don't think our show will either, but "Atheism" is more of a buzz word than "Skeptics" is (although with "Skeptics" we might get a few wandering sheep that have lost their way too.)

Modeling it after The Atheist Experience seems like a good place to start with people that can call in and spout off either their love or hate of reason. Although I don't want to solely base it off that model...

Chris suggested that we use the DGRAP (Detroit Grass Roots Atheism Project) and video tape some of the interactions between us and the theists. Since we're not making any money off the show and it's a public sidewalk we shouldn't have to blur anything out either (although IANAL, and we should talk to a media lawyer anyway).

Chelsea suggested using puppets and making it kind of a kids show. I really like that idea and at least 5 or 3 minutes should be used for that.

I also would like to take some of the youtube videos and stick them on the show as well.

Maybe a "meet an atheist" segment where we have an atheist go on and talk about their life in general.

Maybe get some celebrity atheists on the show, or celebrity theists (or any theists brave enough to step into the lion's den and defend their schizophrenia).

An atheist news segment would be neat as well.

I'm not sure if I could fit everything into a half hour, so an hour show would probably be preferred. I'd also like it to be weekly so that people can expect it at the same time each week.

Donations for the funding of the TV show would be cool too so we're not completely paying for it out of our own pockets.

I'm also not opposed to a radio show either.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this and especially from anyone that's a prolific speaker, a writer, or that has A/V experience.

Ultimately I'd like our own network, but that's way down the line if it ever happens. Hey if TBN can do it why can't we?

I'd like to get this off the ground ASAP, hopefully by 2013 so we can cover the end of the world aftermath when the rapture happens and takes all the idiots away.
Christopher M.
Group Organizer
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Post #: 1,282
I love this idea. I vote for "The Atheist Show" because the word "atheist" will grab people's attention and compel them to watch; especially the fundies.

Let me know how I can help.
A former member
Post #: 584
Well what I really need are four things.

#1. Contacts with anyone in the industry who likes our cause.

#2. People who want to help who are good with A/V equipment and speaking, or who are willing to learn.

#3. Funding for airtime on local TV. If we can get enough donations we can get public access time in a time slot that doesn't suck ass, or network time in an infomercial slot for way too much money (like $1000, but with enough businesses behind us it could work, but we'd have to sell advertising to businesses that would want to associate their name with Atheists.... which unfortunately doesn't look too promising since that has the potential of alienating any customers with irrational beliefs).

#4. People willing to spread the word and advertise the show itself.

Shit I have enough industry contacts. I should be able to do this myself. It's just sometimes I suck at talking to people and I really suck trying to get them to donate their time for free.

I also plan on setting up Youtube and Vimeo accounts, not to mention an official website with live streaming to everything I possibly can and a history of all podcasts.