Hypertext Manipulation Language, HTML, is high-level, easy to understand markup language and is used to create web pages. The purpose of a web browser is to read HTML documents and compose them into visible or audible web pages. HTML describes the structure of a website semantically along with cues for presentation, making it a markup language rather than a programming language. Web browsers can also refer to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to define the look and layout of text and other material.
This is a 2-hour session for absolute beginners to wet feet in the world of HTML and how web sites are created. In the process, kids will develop simple web pages, and learn about HTML elements, tags, links and very basics of CSS.
For this session, kids will need a laptop or Mac, with Apache Web Server installed on it. They will also need some very basic text editor to code in HTML. We will give all download instructions and information before the class. The teaching will be all hands on lab environment.
The attendees must be 10+ years old to participate in the workshop.
• By registering for this meetup event, you are accepting the terms and conditions defined in media waiver.
• Each attendee must have a laptop (Linux, Windows or Mac).
• At least 1GB of free disk space. If the laptop only has that much space, highly recommend freeing up some space for a better performance.
• 4GB of RAM would work, but 8GB is recommended. Higher memory will work, of course!
Download and Install Apache Web Server
XAMP Server: https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html
(Latest version for your specific machine is fine and NO need for any Add-ons)
We will need text editor to code in HTML. Recommendation is as follows:
You can also use and IDE like PyCharm Community which will be easier to use and available free for Mac or Windows machine
(Mac Users: Text Wrangler : any version
(Windows Users: Notepad++ : any version
We will help in all installation during the class, but please make sure to download your machine specific software.
• Please make sure to bring a water bottle/snacks for the attendees.
• Parents are required to stay at the facility for the entire duration of the workspace and may observe from back of the room. There is wifi at the venue and so you may consider bringing your favorite device(s) to stay connected.
• Your meetup fees will cover the cost of a limited edition Devoxx4Kids t-shirt for the attendee.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure to read the media waiver.