addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Drinking Liberally - Kansas City Message Board › Coffee with Cleaver Saturday--Field Report

Coffee with Cleaver Saturday--Field Report

Kansas City, MO
Post #: 4
Last Saturday some tree-huggers and I went together to "Coffee with Cleaver" at the Crossroads Coffeehouse. It was packed but there was enough room for everyone to get inside. There were not many tea partiers and no heckling (fortunately.) We were given "Thank You" signs to hold up. Rep. Cleaver, in his soft-spoken, dry-witted way, made some excellent remarks about what's in the health care bill and how it will be paid for (I will transcribe them soon.) It was uplifting being in a polite, ethnically and economically diverse, but like-minded crowd. No reference was made to the incidents over the previous weekend with the name-calling and brick- and loogie-hurling.

Who needs raking over the coals? Right-wingers insisting those incidents didn't happen. This kind of thing needs to be disavowed, and if and when any violence or incitement to violence comes from the left side of things I will disavow it heartily because that kind of thing really detracts from one's cause.

Right now I am overhearing a co-worker on the phone to his broker or buddy, talking about buying Merck and Pfizer stocks becuause they are expected to go up because of all the diabetics who previously weren't getting their medication and who will now be covered and start buying medication. This is a big reason that getting coverage for the uninsured was important. Not only will those people start taking medication, they will hopefully prevent all kinds of more expensive measures later on, such as scooters and amputations. Underneath the noise, people with brains were talking about the huge cost savings of preventive health care.

So if you're a right-winger, soothe your displeasure by buying some Merck and Pfizer stocks. If you're a left-leaner, just enjoy the feeling of warm compassion and fellow-feeling that you know you were right to have inside your heart all along.