Drupal414 Message Board › Drupal sprints!

Drupal sprints!

David S.
dsnopek
Milwaukee, WI
Hi Everyone!

At the meeting last night, we discussed having a "sprint" for Drupal's Global Sprint Weekend on either January 25th or 26th (Saturday and Sunday - sorry I gave the wrong dates last night).

A "sprint" is where a group of people get together to work on something for a few hours. So, normally we have presentations, hang out and talk - but this would be actually doing something together as a group! Sprints aren't limited to technical people or coders - we're only going to consider topics for our sprint that will allow people with any skillset to contribute equally.

Len, Lowell and I participated in Startup Weekend at the beginning of November where we built a Drupal site over the weekend. It was lots of fun collaborating to actually make something! You can read about it on my blog here:

http://mvpcreator.com/blog/startup-weekend-milwaukee-2013­

So, there are a number of things we need to decide:

• What day should it be? Saturday, Jan 25th or Sunday, Jan 26th?
  • How long should it be? The minimum for a sprint is 4 hours, but I've participated in 8 or even 24 hour sprints. :-) My inclination is for our first sprint to be on the shorter end, although I know lots of people travel from out of town and want to make the trip worth it. I'm personally happy to participate in a sprint of any length and if some people need to leave earlier that's absolutely fine.
  • What should the topic be? This is the biggest question...

Here are some of the ideas that I have, which we discussed last night:

• A Behat testing sprint. At my presentation last night, I described a workflow where non-coders write Behat tests for features on a website and then pass them off to coders to implement any custom steps. We could collaborate on Behat tests for Open Source projects like Panopoly or our own projects. But so long as we are all in the same room together working on Behat tests, we can work together, help each other and all come out with new skills.
  • A Drupal contrib module sprint. The real power of Drupal comes from the thousands of contrib modules. However, what happens when a contrib module has a bug or is missing a feature that you need? At this sprint, non-coders would learn how to collaborate in the issue queue on Drupal.org - testing, providing steps to recreate bugs, reporting bugs, creating better graphic design, usability testing, etc. And coders would contribute and review patches to the modules.
  • An MVPcreator sprint. I've been talking about the MVPcreator distribution for a long time. :-) The idea is a Drupal distribution that allows you to quickly setup all the baseline things that all MVPs (Minimum Viable Products) would want, for example: blog, 3rd party login, e-mail marketing, etc. The best part is - it doesn't exist yet! So, non-coders can write Behat feature specifications for what it should be and site builders and developers can start implementing them.

(I know two of those ideas involve Behat - if you missed my presentation from last night about it, I'm going to send out the video later today or tomorrow.)

The plan is also to move the January meetup of Drupal414 to January 23rd (the 4th Thursday) so that we could have a presentation to get us ready for the sprint!

So, if we did the "Drupal contrib module sprint," for example, at the meetup we'd cover the basics of collaboration on Drupal.org (for everyone) and getting started writing Drupal 7 contrib modules (for coders and the coder-curious). This way, we'd be ready for the sprint in advance.

Please let me know what works best for you and what ideas you're mostly interested in! We'll continue talking about this at the December 19th meeting and probably make the final decision then.

- David

PS: Talking with everyone last night got me so hyped up about doing sprints! This will hopefully be our first sprint of many. ;-) And if anyone ever wants to get together informally to collaborate on something we're both interested in, just let me know!
Len L.
user 87942532
Racine, WI
Post #: 1
I enjoyed participating in the Startup thing, and I look forward to the sprint. Either day, and any time frame is OK with me. As for the subject, I have some sense of personal ownership (vicariously through David) in MVP Creator, so I’m leaning toward that, but the other two (Behat) ideas sound worthwhile as well.

Finally, I, too, would be very interested in getting together informally to work on a project that benefits the world, or Drupal, or which sounds cool.

Sorry I can’t offer more specific guidance, but would you look at that enthusiasm, eh?