genteXt Book Group: Books, Bars and Beers Message Board › genteXt Book Group: Books, Bars and Beers Discussion Forum › Questions for The Sisters Brothers
1) The novel is loosely based on picaresque-style of novel. Why do you think De Witt wrote the novel in this style? What do you think the style added to (or took away from) the novel?
2) What did you think about the relationship between the two brothers? Do you believe Eli’s story of how they got into killing (and how he turned violent)? Why is Charlie violent?
3) Why did the brothers return home? Why does Eli want to be a store owner and will he or Charlie succeed at a normal life?
4) Why did the brothers decide not to kill Warm? Why did Warm choose to believe they would help him?
5) What is the function of the weeping man? There are other periodic characters in the novel (the sick woman and the child prisoner). What function do they serve?
6) The book is a darkly comic novel. Did you find the book funny? What scenes did you find to be the funniest?
7) Did you find any of the characters sympathetic? Why or why not?