addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

East Bay Book Club Message Board › Meeting Recap: June 2012 Contemporary Book Discussion (Dinosaur in a Haystac

Meeting Recap: June 2012 Contemporary Book Discussion (Dinosaur in a Haystack by Stephen Jay Gould)

Anthony
anthonylee06
Group Organizer
Union City, CA
Post #: 20
So last week, we had our June 2012 Contemporary Book Discussion to discuss Dinosaur in a Haystack by Stephen Jay Gould. It was a relatively small meeting, with just nine people attending. But hey, that's better than nothing.

(Usually, I take notes at the meeting to be able to write a more detailed summary of the meeting. This time, I misplaced my notes for this meeting, so I'm doing my best to summarize from my memory.)

Overall, almost everyone said that the book was difficult to get through. The author's writing style was described as dense. Although nobody said that they loved the whole book, most attendees were able to identify an essay or two in the book that they did like. For me, I liked the essay about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. For others, it may be the one about snail shells or the first one about people watching a solar eclipse.

Charlie Klein, who had originally suggested the book, added that Gould's past essays inspired him, and that was the reason why he suggested the book for the meeting. So anyone who did enjoy Dinosaur in a Haystack and want to read more of Gould's essays can check out his other writings.

Otherwise, I don't have anything else to add. Anyone else want to chime in? :-)