add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Edmonton & Area Canine Kicksledders Meetup Group Message Board › To Muzzle Or Not To Muzzle

To Muzzle Or Not To Muzzle

A former member
Post #: 3
I found an interesting article that I would like to share. The topic of muzzles and whether or not we should request that they be used under certain circumstances comes up on occasion. The link is: http://www.clickertra...­ . Any thoughts?
user 10360149
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 2
Thanks for the link to this article, Brenda! Striker has had to be muzzled on many occasions, for his safety and the safety of others around him. He isn't a huge fan, but it is something he has accepted. I can relax and participate in activities I might otherwise not even think about trying with him. I tried it kick sledding and he "snowplowed" with it occasionally, but we still both had a great time! I agree every dog should be use to wearing a muzzle in case it is ever required.
A former member
Post #: 4
I like your remark "I can relax" and that's really the whole point. If we can relax and being around other dogs is a non-issue then we are making strides in the right direction. If we feel we have to stop our dogs or grab their lines whenever we pass other dogs "just in case" then we are reinforcing to our dogs that other dogs are a threat or something to be avoided. More confidence would be instilled in our dogs if they were taught "on by" at the end of the line and if a muzzle is required, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think they have their place. Trendy now knows "on by" and it doesn't matter what other dogs are doing, she is working and is not interested in them (which is surprising, being the social butterfly that she is). We encounter less difficulty now than when we stopped when going by other dogs. I rather liked the article because muzzles do have a stigma when they really can be a good thing.