Edmonton and Area Skijoring Enthusiasts Club Message Board › Is my dog too small?

Is my dog too small?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, I joined just to see if my dog is too small for my gf to try skijoring with. I know he is far too small for me :( Frank is ~25 lbs and I know the suggestion is 30 lbs and up, but my gf is only 4'10" and like ~90lbs. I imagine if 30 pounds is the lower limit for the average person, he should be ok for her. Do you guys think it would be alright?
Leah B.
user 11531369
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 6
It will depend upon his desire to pull, you wouldn't want to go that far or that fast with a small dog. What type of dog is Frank? You can still ski with a small dog but they can be on a leash running beside you instead. My dog is quite small for skijouring and is a 40lb bordercollie cross. Her leg length is short and you just physically can't go that fast. Generally I ski and she runs out in front. Not much pulling power. However my 90lb Chesapeake Bay retriever cross can run at over 50km/h and can pull three kids in a sled in deep snow. I just hold on for the ride. Small dogs are also small boned and you don't want to stress them. I Babysit a small dog occasionally and I take her skijouring, but she just runs beside the other dogs with no harness on. You may want to ask your vet before trying. They would understand the dogs ability the best. We currently have a dog with a torn ACL ( knee) and are looking at $3000 in surgery. You wouldn't want your dog to end up in a situation similar. She tor hers playing with other dogs.
Hope that helps.