addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Edmonton and Area Skijoring Enthusiasts Club Message Board › Intro Session on Feb 27 - minimum registration and reminder to get vaccinati

Intro Session on Feb 27 - minimum registration and reminder to get vaccination papers in order

Kelly
user 6908281
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 25
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to post an update about Saturday's scheduled Meetup while we
are waiting to see about final numbers...

Just so everyone is aware, the basic cost for the Intro session is $60 with a dog and
$45 without a dog based on the course being offered at the trainer's location. Because
we were planning to have the intro session in a dog daycare facility in St. Albert so we
had to add to cover the cost of that (3hrsx$50 =$150) and we were setting a minimum
of 10 people, so that it could be spread out more: $150/10 then it was only an extra $15
per person for the facility.

We've got a couple of days left to decide what to do, but our numbers are a little bit
low to be able to hold the class around Edmonton. An option is for us to travel as a group
to Sue's farm (the trainer) which is a bit west of Barrhead at Mystery Lake. Now, although
5 people could fit in a vehicle, 5 people with dogs won't be able to, so it still would be at least
2 or 3 vehicles going. Related to this possibility would be seeing if people could still attend if
we move the time earlier to possibly a 1:30 or 2 pm start time (leaving Edmonton by 12 noon).

I don't want to dissuade anyone from this option, as I've driven it several times now due to my
interest in skijoring, and definitely after the Intro is done, if you want to continue and get your
dog in harness and do a bit for this season, I would actually recommend you do a skijoring
follow-up at Sue's farm as they have great trails for this purpose. I'm just wondering if it would
be simpler for everyone for the INTRO (where we're not really going to be doing any skijoring)
to have Sue do the driving and come to us than for us to drive out there (recognizing that the
travel costs have to be paid one way or the other. It's about 3 hours total driving time from the
Yellowhead west end, and around 300 km, so you could estimate your own personal travel costs
for comparison). In which case we should let our friends with dogs know about it so they might
be convinced to sign up, too, and we just keep it around the Edmonton area!!

There is a skijoring article that has an announcement for Saturday's session that is going out to
the Edmonton Nordic Ski Club, but the newsletter was a bit delayed. It's only going to be going
out tonight, so although hopeful there will be some interest generated from that, not sure if it will
be "fast" enough (some people need to think about new stuff for a while before making decisions)
to get the numbers we need for Saturday.

One last option is that for lower numbers (less than 10, but we still 5 or more confirmed) is that I
offer to have it in my house and the open area 1.5 blocks away. Then there is no facility rental
cost and we can contribute the extra $15 per person to Sue's travel cost (so cost stays at $75
with a dog and $60 without a dog). My house is in North Central/West Edmonton (a bit west of Castledowns). People would bring a kennel/crate for their dog and the dogs could either come
in the house or stay in the back yard (they would be welcome in the house, but if it is too exciting
(for dogs) and loud (for people), then we probably have to put them in the yard in their crate or
kennel. If we are able to move this session earlier as well (say, a 1 or 1:30 pm start time), then I
have 2 other interested people, and we could for sure run the course on Saturday this way. But
the time change may be an issue for people that have already indicated interest.

I think only one person has paid on line so far, which is fine, the others can pay by credit card
over the phone once the session is confirmed (or online banking use Interac Payment, etc) prior.
If the session doesn't run, then the money that's already been paid will be refunded. I think I
had indicated a Tuesday RSVP deadline, but think I will change that to Wednesday. If people
could reply to me, either by posting a reply here in the message, or click my profile name and
choose "send email" to let me know what kind of options you think would work for you, that
would be great!

Here's hoping Saturday will be a go!

A former member
Post #: 1
Hey Kelly,

the only option that would work for me is if we were to have it at your house at 130. I REALLY want to come, but I have an engagement in the afternoon, and in the morning as well, so I wouldn't be able to come to the evening session, or back out to Sue's place.

I hope other people are okay with this option too, but I obviously know that it will be whatever works for the most people.

I haven't paid yet because I'm not sure if I will be able to come, but if you want me to pay so that you know I'm serious, and then refund me if it doesn't work out, just send me an email and let me know and I'll do that.

Thanks,
Jessica
Kelly
user 6908281
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 29
Hi Jessica,
Let's wait until Tues/Wed and see if people come back saying an earlier time
could work for them. Then I would have you pay at that time. Sue can take
credit card over the phone with Snowventure or you could use paypal on the
site.
ttyl,
Kelly
Alanna
user 11410738
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 3
Hi Kelly-

Saturday anytime is good for me. I vote either your house (although I don't have a crate for my dog) or at the daycare facility. I would like to wait for a Barhead trip until I have all of the required equipment etc. I won't need that for the intro right?

Alanna
Kelly
user 6908281
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 30
Hi Alanna,
That's right, for the intro you just need to bring your dog. As long as dogs are getting along, they probably don't necessarily need to be in crates, and we have one that we could use at our house. There will be some harnesses there for you to try out with your dog during the pulling part. I agree that it sort of makes more sense to wait until after the intro to do the trip to Barrhead. As long as I know that anytime Saturday is good for you, then I know that a smaller group at my house can be the fall-back if we don't get the numbers for the daycare facility. I'm going to be optimistic that the newsletter to the X-C ski group might generate some interest by Wednesday, and we'll have our 10 minimum.
Carrie
mulhollandca
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone, I'm a new member.
I saw the story in the Edmonton Nordic ski club newletter and am really interested in coming. I have a few friends who may also be intersted but we are all working that night so I doubt we could all get it off but I am going to ask. I will let you know as soon as I can. Keeping it in edmonton is the only way we will be able to attend.
Kelly
user 6908281
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 31
Hi Carrie,

That's great that you saw about it in the troll tracks newsletter! And you actually have enough dogs for a dog sled team, lol! The other option is to move the time earlier in the day, but that means that it for sure CAN'T be at the doggy daycare then because they are open for agility training to their members from 12-5. If the time were moved to something like 1:30 - 4:30 or 2-5 do you think it would be easier for more of your friends to come?

A lot will really depend if we get more response from the newsletter in the next two days, and if people post comments on the site to let me know if other time periods on the Saturday work out better.

Hope to meet you and your dogs at some point!