addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › New Event: Waskahegan Trail - Gwynne Section 10 km Hike!

New Event: Waskahegan Trail - Gwynne Section 10 km Hike!

A former member
Announcing a new event for The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group!

What: Waskahegan Trail - Gwynne Section 10 km Hike!

When: Sunday, October 29, 9:00 AM

Where: (A location for this event hasn't been chosen yet)

Event Description: This is a 10 hike for which I will be getting terrain details from the hike leader over the next week or so. We are piggy backing off an already organized hike by a local group who know their trail well.

Meeting is at Bonnie Doon Recycle, west side of mall (85th Street & 85th Avenue)

Newcomers very welcome.

Do members need to bring anything?
Definitely hiking boots and a dry pair of socks to change into once you're done. Brink WATER. Wear layers.

Why should people come?
For some great exercise.

How will members find you when they get there?
I have short brown hair, I'm heavy set and I'll probably be using my hands to talk. (he he)

Learn more and RSVP here:

A former member
Post #: 1
is this a beginner , intermideate or advanced hike?
A former member
Post #: 10
I will get back to you on the difficulty level of the hike.

Okay, here it is, straight from the hike leader's mouth....

The terrain is not difficult at all. The first one kilometer is easy being on the Gwynne valley floor. The only significant slope is when we climb the valley side which is actually the Gwynne Ski Hill. The slope just looks like a field on its side and is easily climbed by taking a diagonal route to the top. We are now on a very high ridge which gives us panoramic scenic views of the valley. In the distance we will be able to catch a glimpse of Coal Lake which fills a large area of the Gwynne Channel. We hiked there two weeks ago and the Fall colours were breathtaking. The ridge terrain is a mixture of grassland, bush and lots of open spaces. Our worthy maintenance work parties were busy very recently so there will be little or no bushwhacking but I do recommend hiking boots for the invaluable support that they offer.

The number of hikers is not crucial as we run a car pool to eliminate as many vehicles as we can. We then proceed in convoy to the trailhead.

The distance we hike is there and back so if the going is too much for anyone he/she can stop anywhere along the route and we will pickup on the return leg. Bring a lunch with you and warm clothing.

Heather and All: given the suggestion to bring lunch, I can now appreciate that this will be an entire morning thing.
Hope this helps plan everyone's day.