The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › Sunday Hikes - Requisite Gear

Sunday Hikes - Requisite Gear

A former member
Post #: 174
If you are planning on attending the Sunday Hikes, please take note.

First of all, these trips go into country areas, good foot wear, food, fluids and clothing is essential. A reasonable level of physical conditioning is required as the group moves along at a good pace.

For summer'ish walks, more fluids, bug juice and sun tan lotion. For Fall/Spring walks, rain gear. For winter ski trips - hot fluids, your own ski equipment, and an emergency kit.

You may want to purchase a set of Gaiters for your boots. Pets are not permitted on the Sunday Hikes as there are wild and domestic animal encounters on the along the trail.

No matter the season, the Sunday Hikes are not that kid-friendly because:

• The pace is pretty fast
  • The terrain varies but includes things like climbing ladders (stiles) over barb-wire fences
  • The distance from vehicles and the rural nature means that it is difficult to turn back

A former member
Post #: 194
Hello, some updates on Sunday gear. For footwear, boots are STRONGLY suggested particularly in the winter months. Remember that it is typically 5C cooler outside the city and with more snow as well - so please plan accordingly.

As for activities, the winter Sunday trip is a choice of hike/ski. You will need to bring your own equipment are there is some variety of skill levels as well.
A former member
Post #: 1
Are the "Sunday events" walks or skis. Sounds like it is optional? Do many people walk it?
A former member
Post #: 195
Hello Dan, welcome to the group!

Sunday's are either a ski or a hike. Obviously it depends upon attendees but so far this year there has been a good mix between the two.

Please dress appropriately for either. If hiking, plan to wear boots, clothing, etc.. If skiing, please plan to bring your own wax and other equipment. In either case, bring a lunch, fluids, etc.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you need more information.

A former member
Post #: 199
With good intentions, I plan to send out the following email for each winter Sunday event on a consistent basis...

Sunday Morning Hike...

Hello you have signed up for this Sunday?s morning hike. I believe that this is your first Waskahegan event so some notes about what to expect.

Firstly please arrive on time as the group leaves on the hour! Note that in Winter, it is either a hike or a ski trip. If you are planning on skiing, please bring all of your own equipment including wax. The skill level is varied so novices to intermediates are welcome. If you are hiking, feel free to bring snowshoes (they can be rented from Totem or MEC). In any case, please wear boots or suitable footwear for walking in snow or on uneven ground.

Whether you hike or ski, bring a lunch, fluids, snacks, etc. Car pooling is possible for a $5 contribution to gas.

A former member
Post #: 275
Please note that for the 2009 Waskehegan Hikes you do not need to RSVP. Simply show up. The event will say that the event is full but that is because I restricted it to one person, me. Feel free to come out but don't forget to read the above thread about gear, etc.
user 10123981
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 2
Hi Phrank,

I am interested in sunday hikes, I am not an active hiker, I was, but this is my problem, I would start with the group and leave it when I feel so. But all the meetups are full. Are they open events by any chanche?