addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › Hiking in 1968....

Hiking in 1968....

A former member
1968, a year after Canada's centennial and the summer of love. The Socreds still ruled Alberta and Pierre Elliot Trudeau was becoming the Prime Minister.

In other words, a very different time when innocence was ending. For example, two teenage boys, aged 14 and 16 struck out to walk the soon to be Waskahegan Trail. Over the summer the camped out in farmer's fields, ate beans and had a great adventure that became Alberta's premier walking trail.

David Dorward will be speaking at the WTA Annual General Meeting.

Date: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM
Where: AVONMORE UNITED CHURCH, 7909 82 Avenue, Edmonton , AB T6C 0Y1

If you are not a member, this is a great chance to find out more about the organization, meet new people [young and old] and find out about a summer a long time ago when two teenage boys had a great adventure.

From David's introduction:

Was it 40 years ago?

In the summer of 1968 my brother Ross and I were the first to hike the entire Waskahegan Hiking Trail. We had founded the trial with our father Fred Dorward and were most anxious to get out and explore it. Come and hear tails of where we went, what we took with us, how long it took us, who met us when we arrived back in Edmonton. Find out about the can of beans, the sleeping bag fire, the water from the well, the wild bull and more. I will bring my original diary from the trip. We can chat about my thoughts on the future direction the trail should take