Elgin Gamers Message Board RPG Meetups and Discussion › Elgin Gaming Group Looking For Players!

Elgin Gaming Group Looking For Players!

A former member
Post #: 34
Our gaming group is looking for some new blood!

Who We Are: A small gaming group of mid 30's, early 40's adults looking for like-minded gamers for a wide variety of RPGs. We like open-ended campaigns as well as short campaigns and occasional one-shots. Some shake-ups in our group's lineup due to the economy has left us looking for new members.

Games We'd Like To Play (in no particular order): Savage Worlds, Hellfrost (our most recently played), High Valor, Dragon Age, Hellas, B:tVS, Angel, Army of Darkness, Ashen Stars, Esoterrorists, Corporation, Feng Shui, 7th Sea, Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy, Warhammer FRP, Deadlands, Mutant City Blues, Desolation, Night's Black Agents, Adventurer Conqueror King, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Cosa Nostra, and many more!

With over 30 years of gaming experience, we have a wide variety of games we play and enjoy. Those listed above are just some of those that capture our current interests.

What We're Looking For:

We're looking for mature gamers who can commit to a fairly regular gaming schedule and who fit our preferred playstyle. Couples are welcome (we're a group mainly consisting of couples) as are individual gamers who match our interests.

We ask all players who join us to be 18 or over, but otherwise consider maturity to be more important than chronological age. We play in Elgin, IL, so prospective players should be able and willing to commute if they live elsewhere.

We prefer to play on alternating Saturdays, from mid-afternoon until late at night, usually 8 or more hours per session.

We recognize that there's a lot of different ways to play roleplaying games and enjoy them. For us, however, we know what we like and what we're looking for out of our gaming experiences. Naturally, we're interested in players who enjoy the same things:

We enjoy Being In Character. The Point of Play for us is for the players to be in character as much as possible, and make decisions based on what their character would do in that situation, not based on what's optimal from a meta-game perspective. Roleplaying doesn't stop when the dice come out or combat starts: combat is just another opportunity to Be In Character!

We enjoy Motivated, Proactive Characters. We don't think it's the GM's job to spoon-feed a storyline to the players who just wander through it room by room until they find an NPC with a quest like in a computer game. Rather, strong protagonists should have strong motives, things that drive them to go out in the world and try to accomplish things all on their own. It's the GM's role to facilitate this as well as to challenge it. The story, insofar as there is one, is all about the PCs goals, and the things they do and encounter along the way to accomplishing them.

We enjoy Heroically Flawed Characters. It's no fun to play someone without flaws, who's perfect in every way. The most interesting characters are those with an Achilles Heel of some kind, a soft spot or blind spot or sore spot that they have to struggle with from time to time.

We embrace Adversity. Many people play the game by trying to keep their characters away from as much trouble as they can. We think seeing how the characters deal with adversity is much more interesting, and get a vicarious thrill when our characters have to struggle or suffer in their attempts to win. It helps to show us who they are, and what they're made of. Getting into trouble is what Player Characters do.

We believe combat isn't everything. Combat is often a big part of many roleplaying games. It's hard to play heroic adventurers in many settings without engaging in combat frequently. However, combat is a means to an end, it's what the PCs are fighting for that matters much more than the mechanics involved.

We believe strongly in adhering to Genre Conventions – If we're playing a swashbuckling game, we expect the PCs to fit into the genre and be swashbuckling heroes with all that entails. Similarly, if we're playing a horror game, we expect the kind of characters who will go into the basement in the spooky old house, and it would be out of character for them not to! We're intimately familiar with the genres we play in, and part of the appeal of playing those genres is to emulate that same feel. It just falls flat when the swashbuckling hero wants to spend 20 minutes coming up with the perfect battle plan instead of just swinging into the middle of the Evil Sheriff's castle on a chandelier!

We believe in being creative! First and foremost, RPGs are a game of the imagination, which means we feel that having a good imagination and being creative and inventive go hand in hand with playing RPGs. We think players should use the game as a creative outlet and we are looking for players who would enjoy the creative aspects of evoking a specific character in a specific game setting. Even small nuances and creative flourishes can greatly enhance the game.

We believe in being collaborative! It's everyone's responsibility to make the game fun, not just the GM's. The GM's job does include presenting challenges and making judgments, but ultimately the GM is collaborating with the players to make an interesting game. We think all the players should invest a little time and energy both in and out of game into making the game more fun for everyone, and that everyone should trust each other enough to know that we're all on the same side in the end.

We believe the rules exist to facilitate play, not define it. We don't appreciate rules-lawyering or arguing over minutia of what the rules do or do not say. The game rules exist to add structure and unpredictability/randomness to our creativity, not something to be exploited or manipulated. Likewise, characters should be able to attempt anything that someone with their abilities should reasonably be able to do, rather than having the player decide the character's action from a menu of mechanical options.

If this interests you, please contact me here or via a Private Message for further discussion.

Thanks for reading!
Jack K.
user 13717158
Elgin, IL
Post #: 12
Doc, I was going to ask you Thursday, but what game is your group currently running? I see you mention a few in the original post, but was wondering what you were playing now.
Jack K.
user 13717158
Elgin, IL
Post #: 13
No problems. If you can make it sometime, we'd love to have you on Thursdays. I'm wrapping up the extended Breakout scenario now, with our new Heroes for Hire being the core of the group (Luke Cage, God of Thunder and Adamantium Fist (Wolverine)), with the occasional appearance by Ms. Marvel (player makes it infrequently) with the Iron Widow as an unlocked resource/backup character (Wolverine turned her rather than fighting in Antarctica and she now acts as their inside source in SHIELD - helped by a set of Stark Suitcase Stealth Armor she salvaged from a Hydra warehouse where stolen tech was being funneled). We have a new player who joined last week as Stark himself (previously I had the Heroes for Hire just working for Pepper on the tech thefts since Tony was off partying in Europe), and we have two new people showing up this week. If they stick around we will be doing a week or two to wrap up, then I intend to start the Civil War event (just got it) so the more the merrier for that, as you probably know.

As for your group, how many are you currently? You say you go for pretty much all day Saturdays - how often?

I'm currently running/playing 3-4 nights a week, so I'm not sure I can add another game to my rotation, but for the right one I might consider it. The type of roleplaying you describe sounds a lot like my old Amber days, which is fun, but it has to be for the right game. I think you might attract more folks with a specific game description. But I know quality, not quantity is what you are after... still if you are still looking for more players after you settle on a new game, please update this or start a new thread with details.

You might also consider getting to know new folks via some of the open game events (weekly EAGLEs games, Gaming Goat tournaments, Kitcons, even D&D) and inviting individuals you've gotten to know who seem compatible to your style. I have used our Thursday night games to recruit for my private Friday night game that way.
Jack K.
user 13717158
Elgin, IL
Post #: 14

I find this kind of play is a mindset, not a ruleset.

While some rulesets may may be less conducive (i.e. games with alot of metgame thinking or story mechanics or that involve alot of optimization are harder to have "fade into the background" than more straightforward ones), it's the attitude and approach of the people at the table that matter so much more than the specific game rules being used.

I wouldn't be so concerned with the rules - I've played with all kinds over the years - from diceless to HERO System.

No, I was referring to the specific setting or idea behind your next game. Are you doing fantasy, space opera, existing world or original... that sort of thing. We tend to do a lot of licensed games on Thursdays, since it's easier for new folks to jump in and get up to speed, but once we have a stable group we get into original creations as well.

Jack K.
user 13717158
Elgin, IL
Post #: 15
Wasn't familiar with ACK, so I read up a little. Looks interesting. I started with the Holmes Bluebook Basic D&D, and this looks like it's based on the B/X feel, with some tweaks. Not sure what you had in mind, but I like the idea of the domain building after you reach name level. Last time I played a long-term fantasy game, the game broke up just as we got to 11th level so my plans were unfulfilled...

So I'd be interested when you get that going. I don't get enough chance to play these days. :-)

I'm also curious about some of the others you mentioned (many of the ideas sound interesting). I've got Trail of Cthulhu for Gumshoe, but never played. Heard a lot of good things about Hollow Earth, but it came out after I'd picked up a couple of other 'pulp' systems so I never looked at it.

I'm not sure if I'll have time in the short term (looks like I might be starting up a D&D Next playtest group at the local store), but let me know when you choose the next game.

Jack K.
user 13717158
Elgin, IL
Post #: 17
Only know Dragon Age from the Tabletop episodes it was featured in, but it looked interesting.

I know a couple of people who have expressed interest in Numenera, so definitely let the group know when you are closer to playing that.