addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

An Emerging Christianity Conversation in DC Message Board › Catch a New Play, "Jonah Dove" at the Fringe Festival based on Biblical figu

Catch a New Play, "Jonah Dove" at the Fringe Festival based on Biblical figure of Jonah

Glenn Z.
user 11569512
Washington, DC
Hi all,
A member of the Emerging group is staging a play that explores the life of the prophet Jonah through a modern plot during the local "Fringe Theater Festival."
I thought some people might be interested in his treatment of the topic.  Looks good.
Best, Glenn Your Organizer

Below is the info he sent me:

"Glenn, Thanks so much for your offer on Meetup to pass on information on the play "Jonah Dove." Here's the information:"

"What's this play about?"

Jonah Dove is a drama with a humorous side and spiritual side. This play is only for people who have felt guilt or had problems with relatives, but that is undoubtedly all of us! Come see how the efforts of Jonah to rescue his family quickly go awry. The play is based on themes from the Biblical story of Jonah and deals with an age-old question: what if God calls us to do something that we really don't want to do? So far, we've gotten positive reviews from conservative Christians, atheists, Unitarians, Jews, and Mormons. Besides being entertaining, it should spark some good conversations about the roled of God and conscience in our lives.

Where and when is it playing?

All performances will be at the Goethe Institut-Gallery, which is at 812 7th Street NW Washington, DC 20001. It's an excellent air-conditioned space a block from Gallery Place Metro. The remaining dates and times are:

Saturday, July 20th--2:45 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Tuesday, July 23rd--8:30 p.m. to 10:00 pm.
Sunday, July 28th: 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Note on age appropriateness: The play has no swearing or nudity. While it's not shown on stage, there are references to alcoholism, drug use, and children born out of wedlock. This play is thus probably not appropriate for young children.

How do I get tickets?

Tickets are available at https://www.capitalfr...­. Note that while one ticket costs $17, it's 6 for $80 or 10 for $110. Thus, this meetup group may wish to pool their resources. As long as the tickets are bought as a group, the tickets can be for multiple performances. If three people want to go to Saturday's show and three for Tuesday's, for example, the discount is still available. (They also require Capital Fringe buttons, which cost $7, but one button can be used for all shows in the festival.)

So what are people saying?

See http://www.dcmetrothe...­ for a very positive review.

We asked audience members to send reviews after the first two shows. Here's what we have so far:

"My friend and I really enjoyed the play. A well-written, well-acted portrayal of people who might be swept up by their own dysfunctional lives, yet led by God's still, small voice, choose to do the right things in the end."--Deidra

"The topic is outstanding and the issues you have tackled make for an excellent production. And how wonderful to have a husband and wife team in the leads!"--Anne

"I saw the reading, so I thought I knew what to expect...but today's version was simply fabulous!"--Rebecca

"I thoroughly enjoyed this play's message and its delivery. The play immediately drew me in as hardheartedness, preconceived notions, and pride threatened to dash a girl's dream to escape poverty. Well written and superbly acted!" Liz

Thanks to all who can make it.