David J.
user 19290591
Waterford, PA
Post #: 2
I know there are a few of these floating around the internet, but this one has an interesting article assosciated with it, and is a pretty effective list. Here's the link: Atheist 10 Commandments
Tom M.
user 36975792
Erie, PA
Post #: 95
Those are certainly pretty good. It's so easy to improve upon the 10 commandments. They really seem like a pretty half-assed attempt for an all powerful, all loving, all knowing super dude. There's no prohibition of rape, slavery, genocide, child abuse, nor any statements about the equality, dignity and human rights of all people. That seems like a pretty grave oversight to me, especially since the first four commandments are all about how to love and worship and fear Big Brother. It's awfully egocentric and selfish, and doesn't have anything to do with morality at all.

Probably the only religion I can have any respect for is Sikh. It's the only religion I have ever heard of where the founding members insisted on equal rights, opportunities, and status for women. That's pretty big right there, and certainly commands respect. They also place a high value on education, service to others, self discipline, tolerance of others, and the value of all human life. Curiously, they are also some of the most hardcore soldiers on earth. Sure, they have their woo, but they do not believe in miracles. All of this is really pretty good for a religion, plus you have to admit that an iron bracelet and a sweet knife are cooler symbolic accessories than crosses with a dead guy on them. One of my school buddies was from a Sikh family, and he was one of the most intelligent, fair minded, and patient people I have ever known. He is currently a doctor at Johns Hopkins.

That seems to me to be a much better example than that set forth in the ten commandments and the Abrahamic religions in general. I think Hitch does a great job destroying and rewriting the commandments, as you can see here.