Eugene Oregon Programmers Message Board › Let's work on a project!

Let's work on a project!

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello everyone! I'm looking for some local peeps that have a little extra time for some side projects. I have a few ideas and I would like to make them a reality. I'll work on any and all of these projects, so if anything looks interesting, let's talk!

First, a little about me... I work full time at Symantec in Springfield. I'm good with a variety of subjects and I learn quickly. I have done everything from building computers and compiling Debian kernels to creating C++ applications and designing web sites and logos. I consider myself a project manager with a very high involvement in coding, engineering, and marketing. Don't get me as a "supervisor" though, I am very open to creative ideas and more than willing to change the entire direction of the business if I believe it's for the better.

When it comes to applications, I'm all about performance and convenience. When I improve upon an existing program, I don't focus on how to make it look nicer or how to add more features (initially) but I focus on how to make it easier and faster to use.

What I'm looking for are friends that have specialties in certain subjects. I have ideas and I can build them, but after a certain point I have a need for someone more knowledgeable about certain subjects. For example, one of my ideas is to build a massive IT knowledge base with user contributed KB articles and solutions. Sure I can create a user interface and a working database. One of the important features that I have no idea how to do is create a search engine for the articles. That's a very important part of the site and I don't know the first thing about search algorithms.

So here are a few of many ideas if anyone wants to get involved!

- IT Knowledge Base: Kind of like the Microsoft support site, but with less irrelevant information and a better search algorithm. The ability for users to add new solutions or new issues (like a wiki). Finally, it will be divided across multiple platforms and subjects (Windows 7, Red Hat, Programming, Hardware, etc...)

- Artillery Game: Ever play Gunbound or Pocket Tanks? Just like this except much more graphically intensive. Keep it 2D, but add insane Phys X effects, debris, water, smoke, lighting, etc... Another option would be to create a very basic game like Pocket Tanks, but for mobile devices. Either way, this is a money maker.

- Text MMO: Client based (Revelations) or Browser Based (New Age 3 and Kings of Chaos) but with our own theme. This is mostly for fun and I don't expect to create anything revolutionary, since it's pretty much all been done. But if you ever play these kinds of games, I'm sure you have said at some point: "It would be cool if this game had ____" or "I wish I could ____."