addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Eugene Veggies Message Board › Lighthouse Debrief and Planning The Future

Lighthouse Debrief and Planning The Future

JJ
user 37645002
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Debrief: Lighthouse Volunteer
8 Eugene Veggies made it to the Lighthouse Farm Sanctuary volunteer event. I do not think I am the only one who would say that I was in *heaven.* Being surrounded by so many different kinds of animals was deliriously fun. Also, I was proud of Eugene Veggies for having such a great turn out. Between Eugene Veggies and a group from Salem, we had plenty of hands to get the work done in record time, before my toes froze off. If you see one of these people, be sure to ask them for their stories (especially about the giant pig with an even bigger personality): Drew, Darrell, Zach, Karen, Jeremy, Kellie, Kellie's + 1 (damn! I can't remember your + 1 name - so sorry!), me.

Thank you to member, Wayne, who is also the Lighthouse Director and who invited us to this special day. The Sanctuary has various volunteer events almost every Saturday. Everyone had so much fun, we are planning on having Eugene Veggies participate again in the future.

Upcoming Scheduled Meetups
Someone asked me when we were going to do another "get-to-know-you" potluck. Please note that all of our events are get-to-know-you events. (It's only called get-to-know-you if I can't come up with a better theme.) I've only met a fraction of our membership and the same is true for everyone else. The more people we have coming to events, the more we will get to know each other. So, please come to events and get-to-know-us.

* Recipe Swap - this event is designed to be as easy as possible to attend. All you have to bring is yourself! It just does not get any easier. Optionally, if you can, bring a (vegan) snack and/or recipe to share. I'm hoping to get a big turnout for this event as I would love to get a collection of people's favorite recipes. I, for one, will be sharing my one and only claim-to-fame recipe, a healthy, but decadent breakfast that will be worth going to the event just for that.

* Kids Day - The idea behind this event is to get those people with kids involved in an event that fosters greetings and support for each other. Several people in their profiles expressed an interest in getting together with other people with kids. This is a chance to do so. Please note that this event needs some further definition. Tina offered a great suggestion in the comments that I think would appeal to kids of a range of ages. (Heck, sounds fun to me too.) If you have kids and are interested, please RSVP yes to this event and put in your 2 cents to help us make the event a success.

* Cook-In - This event is limited to 10 people. Cooking with other people is always more fun in my opinion than cooking by myself. This will be a laid back opportunity to meet other people while working on a project together. It is also a great opportunity if you are not familiar with plant-based cooking and would like some support, tips, and real-life application. We will get to eat what we cook. Fun, yumm, fun.

Ideas For Future Events
These ideas are meant to appeal to our membership based on what people wrote in their profiles. (Don't forget to answer the new profile questions if you have not already done so. Recent new members did this when they signed up.) I would appreciate feedback. Do you like any of these ideas? Do you have ideas of your own?

> Raw Potluck
> People New To Eugene Find Veggie-Friendly Places
> UofO Day (we have so many UofO students in our group. Love ya!)
> Have more meals at veggie-friendly restaurants
> Walk together (maybe by the river?)
> Movie with snacks - seen on a home big-screen TV - or go the theaters?
> Game day (another one!)
> More cook-ins
> Cookbook review (I have over 60 vegan cookbooks to get us started...)

Every time I meet a new person from Eugene Veggies, I feel honored and excited. We are a quality group. If I haven't met you yet, I hope to meet you soon.

- JJ, Organizer
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm so sorry I missed this. Since you mentioned a great pig story, I had to share good news. New legislation was passed that demands accountability from the Department of Defense for its killing of more than 7500 animals each year in medical training courses. Pigs were one of the unfortunate victims. Much of this work was through the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. If you're unfamiliar with the group, here's the website http://www.pcrm.org/...­ Just shows that little steps can lead to big results and a more humane living environment for all the creatures that share this planet. Thanks to all of you who helped out at the Sanctuary!
JJ
user 37645002
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 8
Cheryl, Thanks for sharing that information. I'm a member of PCRM and think that they are an awesome group. I can't wait to meet you. - JJ