Meetup Group Structure

James Kelher
user 11885275
Group Organizer
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Or, how the night will flow.

The basic plan is for this meetup group to be a Creative Writing group writing towards prompts that are put forth by various members of the meetup group. The first night will be led by myself, and the plan is to do three or four separate prompts, depending on time.

Here are my thoughts, and I would love if other folks have different ideas of thoughts.

Group starts at 7 pm. We spend about five minutes doing introductions, names, what we like to write, and what we hope to get from the group, that kind of thing.

First prompt - Write for fifteen minutes.

After time is called, one of the things we have enjoyed in previous prompt groups is having members of the group read their work aloud to the group, if they so desire. It is inspiring to hear how others have interpreted the prompt and the different approaches each writer can take. There will be no pressure to read as that can certainly make some folks uncomfortable. It is also important to understand that this is NOT a critique group. What is being written during the evening is really designed to get the group members excited about writing and get the creative juices flowing. Honestly, if the only place you write is during the group meetings, but that creative energy flows into other creative actions, than that is completely awesome.

Second and third prompts will also be between ten and fifteen minutes.

Prompts do not need to be related to one another, and can be anything that may spur the writing process, pictures, objects, phrases, books, anything of that nature. The mains goal, however, of this group, is for prompts to not be restrictive or pigeonhole the writer into a specific type of writing. Our goal is for you to write how you want, within the spirit of the prompt.

We encourage comments on what is written when it is read aloud, but please keep the comments positive and supportive. Again, this group is not for critiquing, but for pointing out the strengths of a piece. Hemingway didn't create masterpieces in fifteen minutes, and neither will we. But you will probably be amazed at the quality of writing that can be produced in fifteen minutes. Stretch those writing muscles, and you may even surprise yourself.

Finally, Panera Bread has been generous enough to allow us to use their back room for our group. While they have not placed any requirements on us purchasing food or drink from their store, every once in a while grabbing a drink from them to show our appreciation for their support is probably a good idea.

Also, if you have any concerns about the group or ideas on how we can make it better, please do not hesitate to see myself, Sarah, or Liza with your ideas.