Sep 12, 2013 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Gods, what are they good for?
It has been a while since we've covered a heavy religious topic so I figured we might as well have at it again. We can all look and see that religions appear to have a purpose and function within society, but what about gods? Obviously, the idea of gods has some degree of use as many peoples from across the world have beliefs in gods. Perhaps there are some commonalities we can sort out to better understand this kind of idea.
1. What is a god? Before we can even talk about gods, we must first know what a god is.
2. What are some common attributes of gods?
3. What purpose to gods serve within a religion? What purpose do they serve to a society? Is there a difference?
4. What kinds of things are gods good at, or good for? Are there certain topics, situations, or propositions which gods are uniquely better at addressing?
5. Are gods necessary for a religion?
6. Are there any necessary functions of gods which cannot be accomplished without them?
Location and Price:
This meetup will be just outside the cafe inside Half-Price Books (near the fish tank and crystal display). There is also a suggested (but by no means mandatory) $2 donation to help cover the cost of maintaining this meetup group.