Oct 9, 2014 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
For most, gender isn't something that is questioned. When the interior and exterior match in ways that society has deemed acceptable, the whole concept of gender is easily taken for granted. However, the fact of the matter is that gender is much more complex than simple biology. Heck, biology is more complex than the traditional gender binary. But what does this all mean?
• What is gender? What does it mean to identify with a gender?
• How does gender differ from biological sex?
• Is gender a binary (male/female) or is it more of a spectrum?
• Is gender a social construct, is it innate, is it learned, does it matter?
• Some say that gender is performative, what would it mean if gender was based on what we do?
• What about gender enforcement? Is there any use to the so called "gender box" in modern culture or is it entirely destructive?
• What can we do to make gender a more positive experience?
Location and Price:
This meetup will be just outside the cafe inside Half-Price Books (near the fish tank). There is also a suggested (but by no means mandatory) $2 donation to help cover the cost of maintaining this meetup group.