Nov 13, 2014 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Human beings have been philosophers for as long as we've been human, asking all manner of questions big and small. But so many questions are yet unanswered while some appear as if they may have no answers at all leaving some to doubt the usefulness of the practice as a whole.
• What use is there to philosophy?
• How can philosophy be useful, if at all, in our daily lives?
• Beyond the big questions, can philosophy help us with the smaller, more mundane questions that we face on a regular basis?
• Some examples of practical philosophy include: Aesthetics, Decision theory, Ethics, Political philosophy, Philosophical counseling, Philosophy of education, Philosophy of law, Philosophy of religion, Value theory, Reflective practice. How important are such things in our daily lives?
• Is philosophy prudent? Is it pragmatic? Is the pragmatism of philosophy situational? If so, where might it be useful and where might it be detrimental?
Location and Price:
This meetup will be just outside the cafe inside Half-Price Books (near the fish tank). There is also a suggested (but by no means mandatory) $2 donation to help cover the cost of maintaining this meetup group.