addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Exploring NYC History and Neighborhoods Message Board › A Housekeeping Message from Your Organizer

A Housekeeping Message from Your Organizer

Hank O.
user 79290392
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Dear Members,
I am thrilled that our group now has over 1,000 members in a little over 6 months!  Thank you all for joining, and with so many people joining on a daily basis, I am sorry I have not been able to greet and acknowledge you individually.  I am grateful for all the reviews and comments and your photos are greatly appreciated!
Your feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, people have made new friends and contacts and your experience and knowledge of New York City has been enriched.  In evaluating how to improve our meetup after nearly 50 events I have taken into account your suggestions and ideas from other meetup organizers to address the following challenges:
1)  The difficulty in successfully registering for a particular meetup given that they often fill up within an hour or two.
2)  The number of no-shows, which results in some of you who are highly enthusiastic about a particular event not being able to attend.  All meetup groups experience no-shows: some organizers charge in advance for a meetup, others use a refundable deposit system, while some groups have a "three-strikes and you're out" policy.
For those of you who find yourselves repeatedly shut out, you may want to ensure that you have access to receiving meetup messages during the day.   I will try to post meetups at different times, including weekday evenings, between 12 noon and 2:00pm and early mornings.  I will also be repeating past successful meetups to benefit newer members.
At this point what I have decided to do is to begin charging a nominal fee for attending each meetup (except where there is an admission charge for a particular museum or event that is part of the meetup).  The fee will be on a $5  $3  $1 scale depending on what you feel you can afford or are comfortable paying.  This will help defray the costs of time and money I spend on preparations, the handouts I provide and also the Organizer Fee I pay Meetup.com. As those of you who have attended our meetups know I am a professionally licensed NYC Tour Guide and I invest a lot of energy narrating our walks.
I will also start taking attendance simply by having a printed listed for you to initial when you arrive.  I will email those who do not show up to find out what the issue is and how to gain cooperation for the future.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Kind regards,
Hank Orenstein
Director, Hank's New York Tours
Licensed NYC Sightseeing Guide
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rubicon Property, 451 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10024
www.hanksnewyork.com    www.rubiconNYC.com
646-596-3005   hank@rubiconNYC.com