add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

FAIR HILL PHOTOGRAPHY GROUP Message Board › wildlife photo.

wildlife photo.

Robert C.
user 28206052
Elkton, MD
Post #: 1
does any one in our group do lots of wildlife shooting. I am not getting the sharpness in my images I want.
robert b.
Oxford, PA
Post #: 45

I don't have a lot of experience with this...but I would think that posting a few examples of your photos might shed some light on the issue.

Are you using a long telephoto lens? Some of those are notoriously difficult to keep sharp.

Also, have a look at these...

Why do you think your images have not been as sharp as you would like?

Parsh M.
Group Organizer
Wilmington, DE
Post #: 136
Perhaps we need to setup a meetup that is focused on, well, Focus.
Knowing how to use auto-focus system effectively is essential to get sharp images. Simply put, accurate focus translates to sharper images and that is something everyone is looking for in photographs today.

Most cameras have focus modes like AF/S vs AF/C The AF/S I think stands for AutoFocus / Single and it is just that. Pick a point and the camera will make sure that anything at that point is tack sharp. Now if your subject (like a Wilder-beast of a Kaulabear or a Lion) moves out of the frame, the camera could care less. It will keep the focus on your original point!!!

AF/C is for tracking moving subjects. Like the name sounds, this mode will Continuously refocus on the locked subject when it moves out of a given focus area. So to photograph birds in flight try this:
Autofocus Mode: AF-C and AF-Area Mode: Dynamic AF-Area
Kim Hale G.
user 14631188
Elkton, MD
Post #: 13
I use back-button focusing (BBF), which has really helped me. For whatever reason, I get much sharper images with this technique. It's not for everyone, but it's something you might want to try. The only drawback is that it will track your subject as long as the subject remains on the same focus plane. If it moves closer to or further away from you, you will lose focus. You would have to Google how to set the BBF button on your camera, because it varies from model to model.
A former member
Post #: 22
I have done some wildlife. Can you post/email samples where you feel you are not getting the focus you desire, preferably with Exif data.
Include the lens you are using, are you shooting hand held or with tripod or moving subjects such as birds in motion?