FLorida Atheists and Secular Humanists, Ft Lauderdale Message Board › boisterous activities... lol

boisterous activities... lol

Robert S.
user 12367161
Dania, FL
To all Geronimo meet up members: We have a conundrum. Recently I have been getting comments about the level of discourse at our Tuesday meet up. The noise, the thinly veiled anger, and ad hominum attacks are perceived to be reaching unacceptable levels. Screaming and direct name calling happens not infrequently. Comments about not being able to talk over the shouting and that women are being driven away, scared by the angry conversation, have been expressed. Long time members are beginning to stay away because of this. It has gotten to the point of unpleasantness for our members. In addition, FLASH was established as an ATHEIST group. Of late, only politics has dominated.. From now on, we will be getting back to basics. Throughout FLASH's history, we have usually been able to self regulate these kinds of things. We do strive to be as democratic as possible. Occasionally, it becomes necessary to intercede. This is one of those times. So: if I see the level rising, I am going to have to ask those offending members to remove themselves, first to the back round table, and then to leave if necessary. Hopefully, those sitting nearby would help by reminding the offender to be more quiet. I would rather see that happen. I thoroughly hate the idea that we would need to do this, we all love a good argument, but it has become a huge issue. I trust that all members will understand, for the good of FLASH and of the atheist movement.
Bob.