addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

FM Atheists Meetup Message Board › Debate on facebook

Debate on facebook

Paul S.
user 11790480
Fargo, ND
Post #: 25
lol wow i hate this crap but anyhow i got stuck into a debate on facebook with an old friend of mine that was pretty cool open mined guy up intill afew years ago when he made the HUGE LEAP to mormon city. now after tons of back and forths i get this

"I have never said we've done no wrong in this country. But i know that this country is the best on earth and was formed by divine providence."

Of corse this is to easy and i inform him

"so divine providence is wrong your saying than ? i couldnt agree more"

ugg so today i log on and he left me this bit of goodies to PROVE that hes right

"read this link. and ponder it for awhile. you might understand why i say america is a great nation."
and heres his link http://lds.org/ensign...­

i just left him this bit - Were on the topic of "imaginary friends now" ? do u really REALLY want to go down this road with me ill read it but u best be willing to take what i half to say about it in return.

wow i need new friends on FB FRIEND ME ALREADY lol

A former member
Post #: 102
This kind of stuff is why I don't debate theists any longer. It's useless and frustrating.

That link starts off with about a dozen bible/book of mormon references, which right away means what follows is garbage. If a person starts off with the idea that either of those books is authoritative, then you've got nowhere to go from there. It's like believing the world is flat or the moon is made of green cheese--if that's your unwavering starting point, then what comes next is irrelevant to reality. Think of the old Garbage In, Garbage Out (GIGO) adage.

I got to the first "battle" story of the article, where the rebel army (Washington's) was "saved" by weather conditions. No need to read any further. If you find divine intervention in the planet's storm patterns, then you might as well be reading tea leaves.

These believers are not worthy of my time, it's sad to say. They never offer anything of value, just a convoluted view of reality which only makes me want to run in order that I don't get any of it on me.

This is just me, of course. Others may like debating these people. This may sound arrogant, but I've moved on and see these kinds of engagements like arguing with inebriated, stoned children. It's like trying to convince that child that the boogey man does NOT live in their closet. Most kids grow out of it in time when they mature enough to accept reality. Believers never reach that point. In this regard their minds are not fully developed (or have lost ground) and they refuse to acknowledge that magic, myths, and superstitions are ancient and childish ways of seeing the world and we have better information now!

There is a ton of material out there that debunks Mormonism--everything from South Park episodes to scholarly historical research to just plan common sense. If this person refuses to even look for it and consider the possibility that Mormonism is bullshit, then you probably won't be able to do anything no matter how much help you get. Plus, when people are attacked, they usually solidify their stance. The direct approach is the least effect in almost every case. That's another reason why I don't engage. They can read my stuff (or listen to the radio, for example) and it'll be less personal and more likely to be considered. Even then, however, chances are low if they are a hard-core believer type. It's a sad state in which to find oneself, but it's just the way it is.

But, you can learn a few things by engaging people. Maybe he'll come up with something new you can use later. It's not probable, but possible. For me it's a minor "gain" that's a reward not worth going after. But, others may see it differently and offer some suggestions.

I hope you come out of it with something of value, however it works out!